Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Don in Nanaimo

Back to flyfishing

Hi folks, I fished with flies and even tied a few way back in the 70's and early 80's but gave it up when I went to the salt water with our cruising sailboat. Too many things to do. Took up flyfishing a year ago again after my wife bought me an outfit. Now I'm quite interested in getting back to fly tying. Flies aren't 15 cents each anymore I've noticed! Waiting now for a book from my local library on fly tying.

Anybody else from Nanaimo here? Vancouver Island? Anywhere?

Question: What are those parachute flies all about? Are they better? For slowing the fly down to land gently?

Also: What are the chances of continuing through the winter with fly fishing around this area? We seldom get any lake freeze overs. Any recommendations on lakes or flyfishing methods in general? It's been a long time.

I just transferred out of Port Angeles, on the US side. Straight across teh straight from Victoria. You got steelhead water there? Steelhead were my prime target in the winter/spring months. Trout in lakes? I have no idea. I haven't fished for trout in probably ten years.

And so my following comment on parachutes may mean squat- the parachute is just another means of hackling a fly. It's not actually meant to act like a parachute, it's just a horizontally palmered hackle around a wing post. It just changes the profile of a fly. Until I come up with a parachute muskie fly, that's the extent of my knowledge of them.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, and thanks for your reply and answer to the parachute question. Yes, I think there are several good steelhead rivers on Vancouver Island but I don't do it right now and so know little about them.

Don