Fly Tying
vaflyguy

Working with calf hair

I realized this week I am more rusty then I care to discuss, I broke out my stacker and and a pinch of yellow calf tail for a Mr Rapidan. Done what I thought I used to do years ago. No results, still had the same pile I put in the stacker. How many times did I have to beat it down, rearrange the fibers, pluck the guard hairs etc.?

Any of you hair wing types care to refresh my memory?

Guest Big E

You could try to comb the calf tail before you take it off. If its all matted, you may need to comb, wash it, dry and then comb again.

Ya know what? I read about washing tails and re grooming them. I don't recollect ever doing that, but I decided I'd give it a whirl. Of course now my tying table smells like a cows rear end with that wet tail sitting on a bag drying out. My dogs seem to like it as they started investigating the new smell.

Thanks for the input Big E

it depends on the quality of the tail and hair you have, and also where on the tail you are taking it from. For me it is not unusual to take the hair twice for really straight tips, sometimes more I think, but mostly I dont care about perfection with the tips.

p

vaflyguy

I don't stack calf tail. I just pull a clump out perpendicular to the tail and cut. Then hold the clump by the tips and remove the small stuff. If you really must stack the hair, use calf body hair, which is more-or-less straight and stacks beautifully.

vaflyguy

I don't stack calf tail. I just pull a clump out perpendicular to the tail and cut. Then hold the clump by the tips and remove the small stuff. If you really must stack the hair, use calf body hair, which is more-or-less straight and stacks beautifully.

what he said.

shane

vaflyguy

I know what your saying, but I have a calf tail and I gotta make it work. I'd sure love to see pallet of died body hair one day.

Hey VAflyguy, Every so often I rub down the inside of my stackers (I use brass and aluminum stackers) with a "Bounce" dryer sheet. After a while they can build up a static charge and it makes the hair stick to the stacker. Cleaning was a good idea too as hair oils can get stickier over time. Also last comment use a stacker that has plenty of diameter to accomodate the hair clump, overcrowding makes a good even stack more difficult.

Good Luck!

Cheers, Futzer.