Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deflyguy

4FF - 4 Feather Flash

Follow your regular streamer tying approach, just keep in mind:

1. Tie in flash so it extends about 1/2 shank past the wing and belly feathers. This give the all important "FlashTail" effect when stripped.

2. Make sure the throat chenille is visible on both sides and hangs a bit under the belly feathers. Adjustments can be made here to engineer a smolt pattern - tie everything a few sizes smaller and substitute a hot glue squeeze instead of the palmer chenille.

I am going to try and pull off a single feather version for Fred's :headbang: "no whimps" contest :ph34r: but it is likely I will have to bag it for another pattern

Good in fresh and salt!

BTW - the hook is a gunmetal Gama salmon iron with an up eye (size 6)

thanks!

- sorry for the terrible pic

I still have not figured out this camera

If anyone can tell me what "ISO 400 800 adn 1200" mean/are...please help :wallbash:

I am just turning knobs here and I cannot get crisp shots at close range

Look very nice from what i can see DFG.........try doin' the pic over again. mark..... ;)

Mark!

glad you responded - your pics always look great. do you know a thing or two about cameras?

My wife gave me a nice little 7mp with all kinds of knobs and features. I am looking for a basic config for shooting patterns at close range. It seems that whenever I try to zoom in and get tight to my vise, the darn thing can't focus on the fly :blink: it looks like it is trying to focus on something behind the pattern and keeps refocusing when I pull the trigger (is refocusing a word?)...anyway...the real question:

Did you guys make it to Jersey this weekend? I could not come up (family deal) but I am there in spirit. If you are walking around and see White Clay Outfitters or Rainy's booth, my buddy Doug Janiec will be tying there. He is a real pro and has killer style.

- have fun

Matt

Hi DFG.....far as i'm concerned most all of my pics pretty much suck.........my wife is much better with the camera than i...........we have three digitals and i'm not to hot with any of 'em. i just shoot and hope for the best....... :P Next year i'm gonna set up a really good permanate area (off my fly tyin' room), where all the fly pics will be taken and build it right. Only take the pics with the camera on a tripod with proper backdrop, lighting, etc., etc..........i'm pretty fed-up with the hit and miss process..........Macro is fun though, and it's a real challange with large flies.........since it was developed to do little things.....subjects. Just another nut to crack. :P

i tyed at Somerset on Sat., and when i had time to run around (all day Sun.), i spent most of my hangin' out time, with the Salmon fly tyers..........bought tinsels, hooks, and feathers and spent time in the bar just socializin'. Misa took a bunch of pics.........she'll be postin' 'em soon. ;) Sorry i musta missed your friends booth.

This year may of been our last Danbury and or Somerset shows in Nov. Once we sell our Roscoe house, i doubt we'll ever come up to the Northeast at this time of year again...........to damn cold and to dang expensive. We've been in hotels or lodges over 200 nights this year.........we can hardly keep that up year in and year out. Our last show for this year is on Dec. 6th in Mason, Michigan..............WHEW! First for next year is Jan. 10th in Indianapolis..........OH BOY! The road is the only life i've ever known..........kinna like to find out what it's like to stay home for a while........say 3/4 months in a row. :lol: i'd prolly be bouncin' off the walls to get goin' somewhere.........that's what usually happens. :hyst: later, mark..... ;)

thanks!

- sorry for the terrible pic

I still have not figured out this camera

If anyone can tell me what "ISO 400 800 adn 1200" mean/are...please help :wallbash:

I am just turning knobs here and I cannot get crisp shots at close range

ISO refers to film speed, the faster or higher numbered ISO the faster the film, I would use 1000 ISO to catch a speeding car or take a picture of just candle light in the dark. 200 or less for scenery that is not moving fast. Slower ISO will have better color, but longer exposure times. I have not seen that on a digital camera, but have not played with the really good ones, either. See if you have a macro focus setting, that will get you good detail at closer distances.

Oh and it is a real nice bug, I would give it some eyes.

Cheers, Futzer.

Yessir, you are very welcome. I am full of useless information, and it keeps leaking out and making a big mess. :-) Jeff