Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flylady88

marabou on woolly buggers

Since there are few hard and fast rules about tying, sure, why not. However the buggiest slinkiest part of marabou is the fine tips. Post a picture, you are more than likely fine to leave it like it is, a fish will key in on the head of the fly, (why eyes are so effective).

Cheers Futzer.

Hi Darlene - It is OK to make the tail on your buggers however you want. I tie very short tails on mine to mimic stonefly or cranefly larvae or very long for lake fishing. If you want to make a tail that is too long shorter may I suggest tearing the tips off with your fingers instead of cutting. You will get a much more natural look especially if you tear the fibers off at different lengths. I usually keep the center tail fibers a bit longer than the outside fibers.

Since there are few hard and fast rules about tying, sure, why not. However the buggiest slinkiest part of marabou is the fine tips. Post a picture, you are more then likely fine to leave it like it is, a fish will key in on the head of the fly, (why eyes are so effective).

Cheers Futzer.

Hi Futzer:

Just want to thank you for your response. I have caught on my woolly's but was just wondering if it was okay to cut them shorter. I guess it's more a cosmetic question but I guess I'll just leave them alone. Thanks again.

Hi Darlene - It is OK to make the tail on your buggers however you want. I tie very short tails on mine to mimic stonefly or cranefly larvae or very long for lake fishing. If you want to make a tail that is too long shorter may I suggest tearing the tips off with your fingers instead of cutting. You will get a much more natural look especially if you tear the fibers off at different lengths. I usually keep the center tail fibers a bit longer than the outside fibers.

Hi Old Hat:

That's an excellent idea about tearing off the tips. Since my question was basically cosmetic (I've caught on my woollys with the long tail), I guess I'll just leave them alone. Thanks again.

You don't have to clip the marabou tail, just adjust the length of the tail. One thing I do is clip or pull out the tip of the marabou feather before I tie it in this removes the shorter barbules you normally see at the tip of any feather.

You don't have to clip the marabou tail, just adjust the length of the tail. One thing I do is clip or pull out the tip of the marabou feather before I tie it in this removes the shorter barbules you normally see at the tip of any feather.

Thanks Philly. I had already tied the woolly buggers and thought that the tails looked too long and was just wondering if cutting marabou was okay. I was wondering the same thing with hackle-- if one can trim it. Maybe it's a female thing.... trying to trim things and make everything look trim and clean :)

Anyway thanks for your help. Appreciate everyone's help.

I tie my marabou in by the tip like a soft hackle, then wrap and then tie all that down, this way I just get the barbules which have all the good action, then I can clip it down streamside if i'm looking to imitate something more specific.

If they are already tied I would suggest pulling and ripping them with your fingers so its more natural looking.

next time try to tie it in the right length the 1st time. measure the marabou to the length of your hook shank. take that amount and tie it off the back and you have the correct size but if ya mess up tho heres is tip I learned! don't cut it if its too long. pinch it with your fingers and the rip what you don't want off of i with you other hand. it gives it a more natural look instead of the paintbrush look you get when ya cut it with scissors. give it a try. heres a idea of how to tie one and measure it right the 1st time

STS BUGGER

. trying to trim things and make everything look trim and clean :)

Anyway thanks for your help. Appreciate everyone's help.

Buggy and a little ragged is way better!

Unless the pattern calls for trimmed hackle, I wouldn't trim hackle. It defeats the purpose of either to provide floatation for a dry fly or movement for soft hackle or wet fly. I can think of two patterns that I tie where I trim the hackle. One is a popper pattern where the hackle is palmered up the shank and then trimmed flat on the bottom of the shank. The other is a dragonfly nymph pattern where I palmer marabou and then trim it to shape the body. There also three patterns I tie where I palmer an emu feather and I trim it to form the body, but it's anything but neat.

Hi you :)

I knew i had it some were...

This is a copy from an old book about tying...

You got some great addvise from the guys and here comes one of mine; Be devoted to get the basic down from a good book or to.

But remember there are no rules for flytying, but Plenty of guidelines, that we all try to copy as good as we can.... <_<

As long as you dont tye for a shop, its more inportent that you do things that looks right in youre own eyes. By practesing, you will find youre style. and the mistakes you make along the way is Easy fixt with a razor :D

Good luck with youre new hobby. oh and by the way... I think we All will be very happy if you treated us with some pictures from youre vise.

Regards Claudia.

post-11348-1228010530_thumb.jpg