Fly Tying
mason20

Opinions on my Flies?

Been tying for about 2 years and got the basic i really want to improve my tying..

Any tips on how and what to do.. ?

Here are some flies I've tied opinions greatly appreciated

A Humpy

IMG_0157-1.jpg

Basic Hopper

IMG_0162.jpg

Hares Ear

IMG_0269.jpg

Royal Wulf

IMG_0264.jpg

BMS

082.jpg

Wolly Worm

IMG_0882.jpg

Red Spinner

IMG_0394.jpg

Great job. Keep 'em coming and make sure you fish all your flies. Fishing them will help you determine what needs to be altered or changed.

Your flies look great, As DHise said fish them. The only thing that I noticed with your dry flies is that your body are a little long. The body should end a the mid point of the hook shank. That will give you more room for hackle, also it will help you from crowding the hook eye. Keep up the good work

carlp

These should all work, but I do see a few things you could work on. The tail on your humphy could be a little sparcer. Try about half as much hair, and try moose body for the tail. That makes it easier to seperate the tail from the hump back. Your red spinner looks like you used the but ends of some hair for the wing. I agree that some of your bodies are a little long, so work on that. The wooly bugger could use a fuller tail. Your hairs ear, would be better tied on a 1 or 2 extra long hook. Work on a thinner abdomen on this, and a fuller thorax.

Great job Mason, one little piece of advice, I'm presuming that your wooly Worm is based on the MK 2 wooly Bugger , if so the tail does have to be a bit longer and the orange side flashes shorter and fuller, about a quarter of the length of the black tail, keep up the good work. The original MK 2 was also tied with a darker olive green body.

Nice looking fly's keep up the good work. The best way to improve your tying is to tie lots of flys, pic a pattern you like and tie at least few dozen.If possible try to do some tying every day if you can, it keeps fly tying fresh in the brain.