Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jimmywhiplash

Help getting started

Hi everyone

My name is jim,

I have been tying for a couple of years now mostly flies for fishing eg buzzers, hoppers,wets etc

My question is where do I find the best patterns to start realistic tying I am very eager to try out realistic fly tying and I am hoping to get some help from you guys All hints tips even step by steps would be really appreciated and also what materials do you guys use.

Thanks in advance for your help

jim :)

Hey Jim,

Scott is right. This DVD would help you on your way. I think that one of the cool things about tying realistic stuff is that you can get a long way with some raffia (Swiss straw or synthetic) and some pieces of monofilament.....throw in a couple of markers in natural colors and you can create nice things...oh and some patience might help too. I did the clasic salmon flies, the deerhair stuff and everything else I could find but the realistic stuff is the most satifying thing so far. So I would say: give it a go and if you make it through the first couple you will have a lot of fun with it....I know I have.

Go for it and have fun. ;)

Greets Paul.

Hi Jim, I started realistic fly tying search about three years ago, untill them I had been tying classical fishing flies. In may search I found some good places in the web, and some great books. have a look at names like Steve thorntom, Oliver Edwards, Paul Whillock or Lloyd Gonzales, they will take you to some essential books. Study all that information, forget to use it, and try your own way.

I would like to have a look at your first realistic.

AndrésT.

Just out of my own curiosity Jim, what is your main reason for wanting to tie realistic flies?Is it to tie better fishing flies, or is a need to exspress your artistic talent, or you just think its cool ? It dosn't matter why . I'm glad you have an intrest in it.What type of insects did you want to learn? Answering these quetions will better help us guide you.

Hi Jim, Welcome along to THE best part of the net for realistic tyers, have a good look through the postings on here & you'll soon be into the swing of how things are done.

You'll see lots of links at the end of many tyers posts as well, click on them & that'll get you even further enthused.

If you'd like to p.m. me a landline number/time I'll give you a call when you're online so i can show you some other areas of related interest.

Best of luck

John

Hi Jim and welcome

I would say the items that Paul mentioned as well as some plastic broom bristles in black and tan, some porcupine bristles and spikes as well as some really good varnish like Liquitex matt medium.

We will all help and answer questions im sure and as John (Arkle) said this has to be one of the BEST online site for realistics in my opinion

Mike

Thank you all for your replies,

I will have a good look at the post on here I am in awe at the quality of the flies you guys make It amazes me that so much detail can be put in to your flies. I have been fishing since I was a kid,a past time that I hope will never leave me,I love the whole aspect of tying flies and wish to expand and learn new skills and make some flies that I could display in my house. I have seen realistic flies before and have always had the question "how do they do that "hence this is the first site with a dedicated group of realistic tiers. I have come across, so I thought it would be a great chance to learn from you guys if you didn't mind sharing your knowledge.

thanks for the welcome

jim :)

ps I think my first fly is going to be something that is fairly easy to do Have you any suggestions?

Hey Jim,

Your reason for trying the realistic side of fly tying is just fine. The good part is that it will improve your overall tying skills.

About starting with something easy....forget every thing with wings for now, go for the nymphs to get a feel for constructing abdominal sections and legs and stuff. The coloring (which is a challange by itself) comes right after the construction part so when you have finished some nymphs you have covered these bases and you will know if you want to go on or not (I think you will be just the kind of freak that we all are and will become one of the "bug guys" :headbang: as the other tyers call us on shows ).

Greets Paul.

Hey Jim,

Your reason for trying the realistic side of fly tying is just fine. The good part is that it will improve your overall tying skills.

About starting with something easy....forget every thing with wings for now, go for the nymphs to get a feel for constructing abdominal sections and legs and stuff. The coloring (which is a challange by itself) comes right after the construction part so when you have finished some nymphs you have covered these bases and you will know if you want to go on or not (I think you will be just the kind of freak that we all are and will become one of the "bug guys" :headbang: as the other tyers call us on shows ).

Greets Paul.

Thanks paul

I am at this moment trying to decide what will be my first attempt will let you Know what I come up with lol

jim

try a simple house spider. 8 legs = 4 strands of mono fishing line.you can heat up your bodkin to heat kink the legs.

for the abdomen wrap a pea shaped wad of paper in some swiss straw or raffia and tie it on behind the legs.

build your thorax out of thread. then color with a Sharpie marker and coat with head cement. you can use a black marker and you have a black widow. just remember legs go on the underside of the hook, Fred

try a simple house spider. 8 legs = 4 strands of mono fishing line.you can heat up your bodkin to heat kink the legs.

for the abdomen wrap a pea shaped wad of paper in some swiss straw or raffia and tie it on behind the legs.

build your thorax out of thread. then color with a Sharpie marker and coat with head cement. you can use a black marker and you have a black widow. just remember legs go on the underside of the hook, Fred

Thanks Fred

That is a good Idea think Iam going to try it thanks

jim