Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JayMorr

Exploring Reverse Macro - Crystal Flash

I spent some time this past couple of weeks exploring reverse macro. I have had a lot of fun shooting fly tying materials. I took Crystal Flash and weaved some colors together and came up with a set of photographs that I am going to mount on the wall. I think these three blown up will look good in the tying dungeon!

Let me know what you guys think.

rainbowfire_crystal_jaymorr.jpg

I was trying to get a rainbow trout feel:

rainbowglass_jaymorr.jpg

rainbow_crystal_jaymorr.jpg

Wow!

Hey Russ, I took these using a 28-80mm. I use a light box with some Alligator clips to hold the Crystal Flash. I spent some time mixing and matching different colors together to get the look and feel you see in these photos. My original idea was to take "Rainbow Trout" colors or something similar and see what I could come up with using reverse macro. I am going to continue to experiment with some other materials. It sure is fun!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Very Cool, I am thinking pinks, grays and whites like a rainbow trout, Jay.

Thanks for sharing Futzer.

Wow!

Hey Russ, I took these using a 28-80mm. I use a light box with some Alligator clips to hold the Crystal Flash. I spent some time mixing and matching different colors together to get the look and feel you see in these photos. My original idea was to take "Rainbow Trout" colors or something similar and see what I could come up with using reverse macro. I am going to continue to experiment with some other materials. It sure is fun!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ok I give :) whats reverse macro?

Lynn,

You basically take a lens, flip it around and attach it to the camera. There are reverse macro rings that allow you to attach the lens to the ring and mount it onto the camera backwards. The DoF is very unique and you can get some insane, up close shots (especially if combined with some extension tubes).

Jay, a 28-80 zoom, reversing ring, extension tubes; you must have a rock solid support to hold that much gear steady. Overhead soft box?

Hi Jay,

I loved the shots. The second one made me think of a rainbow and the third seemed like a brown trout OR maybe I've had too much coffee this morning. I went to work on a magazine article this morning at a few minutes after 5 and I needed a break; your great shots certainly provided that.

Interesting that we both are playing with some of the same things. I recently got a reversing ring for my Nikon/Fugi cameras and you are right, it gives some interesting results. I never thought about shooting fly tying materials. I wonder what a jungle cock cape would look like? Maybe I'll give it a try when I get the rough draft of this article done. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Al,

I am looking forward to seeing your jungle cock photos. I will post some additional shots that I have taken shortly.

Take care,