Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Redwings1

Played on the river today

Posted these on TFF, but figured I would throw them up here as well. Starting to get used to the new G10 and the underwater housing when on the river. It was exrtremely cold today and I still had no problems with the housing, just kept it in my backpack when not in use so it would not freeze up. Trying to get used to the buttons so I know when the autofocus engages without looking at the camera backing.

post-3536-1229910815_thumb.jpg

post-3536-1229910837_thumb.jpg

post-3536-1229910877_thumb.jpg

post-3536-1229910896_thumb.jpg

My hat off to you Redwings as it looks mighty cold. The older I get the more whimpy I become. Really nice photo's. My favorite was the third shot with the fish partial in the water. keep them coming.

Hi Mike/Redwings,

I loved the shots. How do you feel about doing a winter-time article for me with the understanding I haven't sold it to the Feature-Article Committee? Please contact me off the board at [email protected] if you have any interest in doing a spec article; I'd be looking for about 1250 words, 6 to 8 pics including some fly shots.

Obviously, I'm interested in the quality of the macro shots you are getting from the G10; I already know what you are getting regarding scenic/fish pics and they are great. Please don't tell me you had the camera on the lowest possible setting to conserve disc space! You've got a couple of great shots that could be a double-page background pic IF they have enough resolution. I know the 14MP G10 has the ability to get the resolution....? Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Great shots. The partially submerged shots are my favourite. The G10 has done a super job. It did a great job on the white balance. What settings did you use? Having taken underwater photos of steelhead and brookies myself, I know how challenging the cold can be and getting the focus. I look forward to seeing some more.

Alan

Thanks guys.

Alan, honestly the better shots this time came out with the simple auto settings. I tried the factory Underwater scene setting and it just washed the photo out; likely has to do with the difference between the scuba worthy water the setting was designed for and the coloration of out steelhead streams...much more green than blue. I intend to play with the setting once it is a bit warmer and come up with a customer balances specifically for greened up steel water as well as for tanin stained Michigan waters.

I have also resorted to the auto setting, but it seems slower to focus. I was using the underwater setting when diving in Cuba but now I just adjust the photos in PS.