Fly Tying
tarponhunter

Abel Supreme

The Law seems to be referred to as the best of the best.

I think rating a vise as the "best of the best" lies in the eyes, fingers and hands of the beholder. There is no "best" vise. What one or a few people say does not apply to all.

I agree completely with you on an individual level. In fact I do not think that anyone would disagree that everyone has the right to choose a vise, or any other product, or even which technique to use, using any criteria that individual chooses or wants. To clarify, my comment is meant as a generalization not intended to bestow a title that is why I chose the use of the statement qualifiers in the sentence; qualifier one is the use of the word 'seems', meaning a feeling I gather from reading many of the posts on the forum and, the second qualifier is the use of combination of the two words 'referred to', meaning that others often site this as the vise of choice. I used these two statement qualifiers to make a general statement.

I have read many posts that contain the common theme that your post contains. I don't understand how it is perceived as some sort of threat to search for a reference vise. Lists and rankings are often subjective, just look at Olympic gymnastics or figure skating. I think that members and readers of this forum can identify opinion and take it as such. It is important to understand that it is the search for and the included debate of which comes a growth of insight obtained from others that is important.

I don't think that anyone is threatened by the search for a "reference" vise, rather they respond to the question not necessarily being phrased correctly. If someone finds the "perfect" vise - that just means that it suits their aesthetic, tying style, hook selection, and pattern choices the best.

I currently own three (well, four) vises. I won't even count the Herter's Thompson copy in the list of "best". I have tied on a PEAK for the past couple of years, and it's given me exceptionally good service on trout and steelhead flies. However, I've had a couple of issues with saltwater hooks. So I "upgraded" to a Dyna King Barracuda Indexer - a vise that many consider to be the best. However, for some of my patterns on smaller scud hooks, the PEAK with midge jaws is much easier than the Dyna-King with midge jaws. But over all, I've come to prefer the Dyna King.

Except for the size. This past week, I traveled and tied in 5 or 6 different locations. The 'cuda is rock solid, but it's just too danged big to be a travel vise. So today I got a bit of a deal on an HMH Spartan. The jury is still out, but so far I can tell you that the HMH would in no way limit my ability to tie anything that I'm likely to tie. It's a great vise. But maybe not the best.

I dunno. I think that we as a species always seem to search for the best, when it may be that each individual needs to make that choice. I see some guys tying on Regals for decades, and they don't seem to miss any of the "true" rotary features of other vises. Renzetti guys love their vises to death, and rightfully so. And much like never betting against the hunter with a well-worn 30-06, never bet against a tier with a tarnished-with-age DK Pro.

The LAW might be the ultimate in some folks eyes, but does that necessarily make it the "best"? For what pattern, style, or hook size?

If I may, why do you not intend to own a Renzetti?

I have a good friend who is a dealer for Renzetti. Although some folks have extremely good things to say about their customer support, what this guy has gone through trying to help customers get service has brought me to the conclusion that I'd rather not take that gamble. Not that I'd ever need the service, but if you happen to be one of the ones that Renzetti decides they don't want to help, you're pretty well out of luck. The vises are gorgeous, and seem to be well made (although you do hear the occasional problem). Some folks get bend-over-backwards service, others end up paying full retail for any replacement part.

I don't think that anyone is threatened by the search for a "reference" vise, rather they respond to the question not necessarily being phrased correctly. If someone finds the "perfect" vise - that just means that it suits their aesthetic, tying style, hook selection, and pattern choices the best.
You are right, 'threatened' may not be the correct word, and, if not, what word would describe the defense of a position that should be everyone's position. It is 'pointing out of the obvious' to state that a subjective endeavor should be left to the individual to decide. Using the word 'best' any other superlative to describe an item requires documentation. Without documentation, it is implied that the source of the attachment of a superlative is the writer. After all, its a forum, a vehicle for casual conversation via the Internet. I don't give any credibility to information on the forum above the level of opinion, and I don't assume anyone else does.

At this point, I would like to return to the subject of this post and start another thread sometime after more consideration to help make the forum more productive. And, thanks for your perspective 92Esquire.