Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cole

DIY Epoxy Dryer

Has anyone done it? I have heard numerous stories, dont do it, just buy one, etc...

Has anyone done it? I have heard numerous stories, dont do it, just buy one, etc...

Go to your nearest thrift store and get your self a rotisserie motor and stop by a hardware store on the way home.

Buy yourself a dowel rod to fit into the square slot and glue it in . now tale some of that hard insulation (Pink foam) and trace a plate on it and cut it out. now spear it onto the dowel and whalaa! if you want a commercial version , find the skeewer rod and cut yourself about 6 of the pink plates and mount them onto the skeewer rod. you just have to make a support for the end of the rod to support the weight.

Hope this helped. worked for me.

Longears did the same as I did, though I made 2 changes, I just used duct tape to hold the dowel, and I bought a dowel slightly larger than the square hole and shaved the dowel square with my pocket knife so it was snug. I cut my foam in rectangles about 12"x 4" then dependent on how fast my epoxy is drying I can adjust the rotation speed by putting the fly closer to the center for thinner epoxy, It just tweeks the RPM slightly. Slower goes to the farther ends.

It is also a little easier than cutting circles in foam. I get the foam at the craft store.

Cheers Futzer.

...I can adjust the rotation speed by putting the fly closer to the center for thinner epoxy, It just tweeks the RPM slightly. Slower goes to the farther ends. ...

Did you determine the various ideal locations through trial and error? And, if so, how long did it take to get a feel for the apparatus?

...I can adjust the rotation speed by putting the fly closer to the center for thinner epoxy, It just tweeks the RPM slightly. Slower goes to the farther ends. ...

Did you determine the various ideal locations through trial and error? And, if so, how long did it take to get a feel for the apparatus?

About 25 drips, I started using the 5 min epoxy packets by Hardman and most of my spills went away. Start near the center and see how runny it is moving on the flies, Have a heat gun or hair dryer handy, carefull with the heat gun, I have melted a few flys too. Hope that helps, it sounds worse than it really is.

Cheers, Futzer.

Here is one I made. I used my fishing rod drying motor, a pool noodle and champagne cork. It works like a charm when I'm working with epoxy flies.

Drying Motor

I use a 4 rpm flex coat drying motor, and I use the bottom half of an old steelhead rod with half a dozen cork rings epoxied down it's length. I can turn several dozen 6" long 4/0 meat flies at a time.

I made this one from a rotisserie motor. I used it for clearcoating some crankbaits I painted. For small stuff i just clip a piece of foam to it and put the hook in the foam.

rot.jpg

-D