Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j. michael

Thread Sizes

I am planning on starting to tie realistic flies and I am also planning to buy Fred's DVD, but I have seen a lot of differences in the size of thread used, most is fine sizes 8/0 down to tiny 17/0. What size is best?

70 denier or 6/0 Danville Flymaster waxed (white) . I like this brand and size . It lays flat and have come to

count on the consistant quality from one spool to the next.

If you ask me I would say go as thin as you can handle. You don't want your thread to break when you are working in concentration but you don't want you wraps to show either. To bild up some volume you can you several materials so no need to use a thicker thread for that....you just want to use it to get your materials on and that's it. I would like to see someone build a delicate mayfly leg with 3/0. This is almost thick enough for the whole leg by itself. so as thin as posible and white would be my sugestion.

Greets Paul.

Good Day,

I am with Paul on this one. Use the thicker thread for areas that will not be seen and the thinnest possible for those that will be seen. 14/0 by Gordon Griffiths (comes in colors) and 17/0 by Uni Thread (only available in white, but readily accepts marker) are suprizingly strong for such thin threads! You can apply a suprizing amount of pressure with them. Of course you don't want to pull to hard, but they really are strong.

Steelie

Good Day,

I am with Paul on this one. Use the thicker thread for areas that will not be seen and the thinnest possible for those that will be seen. 14/0 by Gordon Griffiths (comes in colors) and 17/0 by Uni Thread (only available in white, but readily accepts marker) are suprizingly strong for such thin threads! You can apply a suprizing amount of pressure with them. Of course you don't want to pull to hard, but they really are strong.

Steelie

Dont listen to steelie or else :rolleyes: