Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Paul vd Driesche

Framing your flies

Hey all,

I'm taking a small side step here. I found a way (I was pointed in a direction by a friend would be a better way of putting it) to give my work that little extra that will make it stand out from the rest...maybe not in my tying skills but in presentation. I would like to know what you guys think about it. The plan is to sell some of my work eventually...if there is someone outhere willing to pay for it that is...and since we all have the same problem, what will you charge someone for something which has basicly no value? This way of presenting my flies will make it a little easier. I still don't know what to charge but that will come when I actually find someone interested enough. This way it might actually qualify as art and maybe I can even reach people that are from outside our "Flytyer world"......who knows. Anyway...like I said, I would like to know what you guys think about it.....bring it on....gently though ;)

Greets Paul.

Salmonflysteppinupweb.jpg

Hey all,

I'm taking a small side step here. I found a way (I was pointed in a direction by a friend would be a better way of putting it) to give my work that little extra that will make it stand out from the rest...maybe not in my tying skills but in presentation. I would like to know what you guys think about it. The plan is to sell some of my work eventually...if there is someone outhere willing to pay for it that is...and since we all have the same problem, what will you charge someone for something which has basicly no value? This way of presenting my flies will make it a little easier. I still don't know what to charge but that will come when I actually find someone interested enough. This way it might actually qualify as art and maybe I can even reach people that are from outside our "Flytyer world"......who knows. Anyway...like I said, I would like to know what you guys think about it.....bring it on....gently though ;)

Greets Paul.

Salmonflysteppinupweb.jpg

Hi Paul, A lot of people for years have framed fishing flies along with a picture of a fish or fishing scene.

And they are very attractive still. What you have done is great and I think it will have appeal to alot of

people because its new and different.Its a beautiful piece of fly tying related art.

Fred

Very MC Escher like, I think that is really nice Paul.

Cheers Futzer.

You did the drawing and the fly too? Truly fits the description of ART. You should be able to sell this kind of display. You should do several, and take them to the local shops for display. Place a small price sticker on each, and offer the shop a commission on any that sell. Local librarys sometimes will display local artists and crafts people. You could show these with a display of fly tying books.

Hi Paul,

That is a great composition and I like it a lot. But I think your tying skills are so good as to put your final work at the top of realistic fly tiers. I mean, your stone fly is a piece of art by itself and should be showed alone, with little back ground or none at all, just to not disturb from the main objective. I have the opportunity of having in my hands Bill Logan´s ART, and they are in a box with a mirrow at the base, so you can admire them from every point. They are in the middle of the box resting on a fine metal tube.

I think your fly does not need any adornment.

Andrés T.

Thnx for the quick reactions guys. I'm glad you all like my work.

Andres, Thnx for the compliment. But look at this as just an extra option. People who like the realistic work the way it is can get it in a cube...no problem. But I do think that on a wall this will look better than a fly on it's own....however beautifull it might be. If you look at things we make from 2 or 3 meters away a fly is hardly visible....this is so when you look at it from that point of view it just might be a little more interesting to a larger group of people (read customers ;)).

Greets Paul.

Paul, Don't change a thing, when I was in college I mounted a fairly realistic spider I had tied to the corner of my TV screen, thought it was hip like a Warhol. People actually would try to squish it on occassion. I think creative display like that is genius, BTW how much are you asking?

Cheers, Futzer.

Thnx Futzer, Well the price is a problem for most of us but I will have to answer a question like that eventually if I ever want to sell some work. If you only calculate the ours that you put in tying the fly and on top of that making the artwork around it....I would have to work that out with the customer but I don't think you can do it for a couple of 100 dollars. It would have to be fair to both me and the customer. With the risk of sounding ridiculous I think it would be around a 1000 dollars. With a price like that you would not even make much profit out of it. Once you can build a name for yourself you can do better. I'm doing pretty good but I'm no Whillock or Logan (yet;)) so at this moment I would concider myself lucky to get a price like that. I do feel you would have to deliver something special for a customer paying that much.....on the other hand, when you look at a price you pay for an oilpainting from a nobody painter....you don't get much for 1500 dollars. I would only make unique one of a kind pieces though so that might help a little. I think selling to the highest bidder over the internet might be interesting.....I will try that sometime. I'm not seeing myself building 100 of these frames a year so I would like to sell them to people who are really lookin' for something special and who really apreciate what you do.

Greets Paul.

Hi Paul,

I really like your framing which I believe will hit a bigger market than a straight framed realistic, however I also agree with Andres in his comment that your amazing tying does not need any adornment as it is an art piece in itself.

It all depends on the buyers needs and wants as I have found with mounted flies that I have sold over the years, some customers have asked for fully dressed salmon flies on backgrounds of favorite rivers etc and others have asked specifically for plain individual mounted flies.

I guess you will have to see what the respose is and I would be very interested in the outcome, please keep us posted.

Mike........................................ B)

Thanks Mike, I have a hard time thinkin' what price to ask for stuff like this. If you look around and see what some guys get for their flies.....it amazes me every time again. Ok....some make awesome stuff but others are no better than the most of us so what to do? This artwork helps me a little though. It give me more of a feeling that you actually offer something special.

Greets Paul.

Thnx Futzer, Well the price is a problem for most of us but I will have to answer a question like that eventually if I ever want to sell some work. If you only calculate the ours that you put in tying the fly and on top of that making the artwork around it....I would have to work that out with the customer but I don't think you can do it for a couple of 100 dollars. It would have to be fair to both me and the customer. With the risk of sounding ridiculous I think it would be around a 1000 dollars. With a price like that you would not even make much profit out of it. Once you can build a name for yourself you can do better. I'm doing pretty good but I'm no Whillock or Logan (yet;)) so at this moment I would concider myself lucky to get a price like that. I do feel you would have to deliver something special for a customer paying that much.....on the other hand, when you look at a price you pay for an oilpainting from a nobody painter....you don't get much for 1500 dollars. I would only make unique one of a kind pieces though so that might help a little. I think selling to the highest bidder over the internet might be interesting.....I will try that sometime. I'm not seeing myself building 100 of these frames a year so I would like to sell them to people who are really lookin' for something special and who really apreciate what you do.

Greets Paul.

You have to charge appropriately for your skill and creativity, but also for the rareness. $1000 in my opinion is too low; I would set a numbered limit if you plan on doing multiples of this presentation. You may consider donating one to a good fishing cause auction and see where that goes, strictly as a market gauge. I do snow globes with two stones, a nymph and an adult, less realistic, more fishable, but still tediously tied, and mounted to driftwood inside the glass. Definitely not in the same class with your realistics by any means. I do not price them but keep one in a buddies shop in CO. I let hm decide the price, and he is in an area where some wealthy folks do come through. I have had as high as $500 be paid, but you get a whole lot of $20 to take it off your hands. I have sold 11 of those in my career with it. Good Luck with yours, it is exceptionally done and executed.

Jeff.

Futzer,

You are giving me quite some credits here :) thank you so much. This topic helps me to get it all straight. Like I said....I don't know. I hope you are right and I will start higher and see where it goes.

For now I will just make a couple of different ones and take them to the Brittish Fly Fair and the Fly Tying Symposium in november and see what happenes.

Thank you for thinkin' with me here....it's much apreciated.

Paul.

selling directly to tyers is tough, selling to rich fishermen is a little better. I know you will find an audience. Jeff.

Get the whip crackin on those Paul.

That picture/realistic combo is as original as it gets and Futzer is right, rich fishermen should be your target.