Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kicker

Chenille Question

I have a question about Chenille. Is the Chenille yarn that you can buy at the craft stores the same as you use to tye flys with or should I buy it at the fly fishing store?

Thanks,

Kicker

at least of what i've seen most of the time, no, its not the same

chenille is a special yarn with a string core, while the chenille found at most craft stores has a wire core

if you can find some without a wire core, it'll probably work just fine :thumbsup:

I've seen quite a lot of chenilles in the knitting sections of fabric stores, dept stores, and craft stores. OK, I don't usually hang out there, but you know, when I'm passin' through. IMO from what I've seen, they seem to be larger than most used for tying, and less dense. They do make some kick-ass warm sweaters. Not sure how good they'd be for tying, although I saw some in a mottled brown, tan, and orange that had "crawdad" written all over it. :headbang:

I have seen some at craft store sold in skeins for knitting that does have a thread core. They do tend to have a little different texture, but not neccessarily a bad one. A better price per yard, but not quite as many color options as I've seen in tying sources.

Deeky

Chenille stems have the wire core, if you have foung just regular chenille(Mstlikely wrapped on a card of something) then it should work fine, though it is not the same as most flytying chenille. Most fly tying chenille is made of rayon. The "craft store" chenille most likely will not reflect as much light as rayon chenille, so it may slightly change your flies apearrances to the fish. You can find many chenilles and yarns that would be great for flies in the yarn isle in your local craft shop.

There are limitless types of chenille, colors, materials, thicknesses, densities even for "fly tying". Just determine what you need or want and go for it whether it is at your local craft store or fly shop.

Good Day,

If you have a Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, JoAnne Fabrics or specialty knitting store in you area, go have a look. And not just in the knitting area. Poke around the fancy ribbons too. I can't tell you how many cool tying materials I have found, and use by the way, in these ares. Open your mind and allow your creativity to flow, it's fun!

Steelie