Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher46

Start up kits

Go to the top of th page and click the link to J Stockard. They should have everything you need. Of course figuring out just what you need may be a different question.

Also check out the fly tyers dungeon, he is currently offering the fly tyers box, for $25 you get a whole lot of materials to play with, but you'll still need some of the basics like thread, chenile etc...

Having been in this hobby for a while and buying a lot of crap, I would say that you should probably stay away from the start up or tying kits. Ask yourself what are you tying for: trout or warm water fish. Then I would pick a few simple patterns and buy the supplies to tie them first. For trout, the ant, wooly worm or wooly bugger are good ones to start with. I also know of a very simple green inch worm pattern. I dont know you or your tying level so these of course are suggestions for someone just starting out. Trust me, I bought a lot, and I mean a lot, of stuff when I first started out and didnt know how to use a third of it. I would also suggest the sponsor of this site to buy from, ebay or Hook and Hackle as well. All are good choices. Just my two cents I guess. Hope this helps somewhat.

step 1 buy a decent rotary vise. ie:renzetti, dynaking. step 2, buy only the tools you need. ie:hackle pliers(english style), whip finisher, dr slick scissors(the cost will pay off. trust me), ceramic bobins(they wont fray your thread). Step 3 lighting probably ranks close to #1 in my book for important tools. why strain to see the fly, or have shadows throw off your dimentions? Also a good magnifying glass. either some reading glasses, or a better choice a nice big one you can set on the desk, or clamp to it, so you can see your patterns without wearing out your eyes. Also, only start off buying supplies for patterns you will use. good ones to start off for any fish would be wooleys, hares ear nymphs, pheasant tail nymphs( also beadhead ptn's). that should be a good starting point. Oh, and check this site daily. lots of very helpfull hints on this site. Hope that helps ya out.

Also check out the fly tyers dungeon, he is currently offering the fly tyers box, for $25 you get a whole lot of materials to play with, but you'll still need some of the basics like thread, chenile etc...

Can you buy that box off their website? I can't find it anywhere... I could be blind though...

Can you buy that box off their website? I can't find it anywhere... I could be blind though...

Ortho try the below link:

http://flytyersdungeon.com/ftd_tyers_box.htm

Thank you for the input. Very beginner and will be primarily going for trout. Looking to get a pedestal rotary vise. Wife doesn't want me clamping a vise to the kitchen table. So need everything mobile. Are the portable fly tying tables worth the investment?