Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ridleyffo

Tog? Crabby

I was inspired by Betty's crab and another I recently viewed to try my first crab fly. I hit Reading, PA last weekend shopping with the wife and happened upon TCO fly shop (imagine that) and picked up a mag that had some crab patterns. The whole hour ride home I was thinking about all the new material I got from my Fly Tyers Dungeon Grab Box and what I could use to twist up a nice little green sand crab to catch one of those stripers with the roughed up and abraded noses.

I'm fairly new at tying and welcome all criticisms. Sorry for the lousy pics but my camera has wimpypixels.

post-18764-1233790565_thumb.jpg post-18764-1233790578_thumb.jpg

post-18764-1233790599_thumb.jpg

looks like a fishkiller to me :headbang: i like the buggy green body alot.

C

'Ridleyffo'....this fly tying is so addictive. Sweet looking green crab, like the knotted legs. A word from a friend Capt'n Joe Blados (creator of the Crease Fly and others)...."stipers can't count"....loose a leg....who cares....keep fishing! I think a tog would eat that if presented near rocky jetty, I'm hoping to luck into one one day. They tug real good.

'Ridleyffo'....this fly tying is so addictive. Sweet looking green crab, like the knotted legs, consider a weed guard for around rocs and weed. A word from a friend Capt'n Joe Blados (creator of the Crease Fly and others)...."stipers can't count"....loose a leg....who cares....keep fishing! I think a tog would eat that if presented near rocky jetty, I'm hoping to luck into one one day. They tug real good.

Thanks Ladies!!

Claudia, the body material is two different colors of yarn from the Fly Tyers Dungeon. I can check the exact name for you at home tonight if you want, but I think it was called shuck yarn. I then combed it out after tying it on to the shank. Always love your flies. I especially like the mayfly that I saw you tied with a single CDC feather. I am also intrigued that you don't use a bobbin. I found a old picture from the 40s of a tying station that appears set up to tie by hand.

Betty I fish IBSP. Do you? In fact my wife asked if I wanted anything special for valentines day and I mumbled "Beach Pass" $200 is a bit excessive for valentines, but maybe Ive been especially good.

You have to time the Tog on the Jetties as they move out to the wrecks when the water cools.