Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TnTom

DownLoad You-Tube Videos

I may be like prehistoric (meaning it may be nothing new) but I just found a exe file that will enable you to down load a you-tube fly tying demo video to your hard drive so you can build a library and view the video offline.

It took only a moment and the file was on my desktop folder and actually it only took the same amount of time to download that it took to play the video plus a few moments. I did a Pheasant tail Numph, Adams, Parachute Adams, Copper John in about 5 minutes. It converts the YouTube format to an AVI file and you can run it on your windows media player.

http://www.enriquepuertas.com/wp-content/f...vdownloader.zip

I save everything (to my wifes dismay).

Tntom

As You-Tube gets ready to make their videos available for download, more and more of these apps will stop working. I think I went through three before I found one that worked. Being able to download the videos though sure has helped with my tying as well. I have several saved to my G1, takes up less space on my desk than my laptop.

This application has already started its "stuff". Might be best to wait. I didn't know that YouTube was going to make it available for download. That will be better.

Ahh, and now back to the question of copyright. As a producer of tying videos on YouTube (FlyFishVideo), I've always had something of a concern about the downloading of the videos. I do post a copyright notice at the end of each video indicating "All Rights Reserved" and have generally hoped the low resolution of the videos and the slight technical skill required would slow some of the downloading. Since most people are doing this for their own personal use, I generally don't have too much concern, but I still wish they would ask before they do it. If it was for personal use, I would most likely allow it if they asked. Perhaps it all stems from a desire to control how a video is used after I put the time and effort to make it. If it only resides on YouTube (and through links to YouTube), I feel that I have some level of control. Once it leaves there, I don't know what's happening to my efforts.

One other concern is that I gauge the success of a video by the number of views. If the video is downloaded, I lose the ability to see what's popular. Unlike the viral videos which count success in the millions of views, I consider a fly tying video with 2,000 views is a great success.

There are some really great videos from folks like TopFlyMan, FlyFishOhio and PeattyMann on YouTube and it is certainly a great resource for fly tyers. I've gotten special satisfaction from the messages from beginning tyers who have used one of my videos to tie their first fly. So I remain a supporter of placing video on YouTube and sharing it with the world.

I'm through venting now, so carry on.

TxEngr (aka FlyFishVideo, aka Buddy Price)

I failed to notice that there were copyrights. Very careless on my part.

No doubt the best thing to do is buy the DVD put out by many great tiers.

I find the poor resolution and the dang streaming evident on many You-Tube videos actually counter productive and probably wouldn't bother to download it.

I do agree that those without the quality issues are more apt to be downloaded.

Thanks for the reminder and I'll delete the four I've put on my hard drive. (I really didn't notice who made them... irrelevant)

My understanding of the upcoming change on the YouTube site is that only certain videos will be available for download. Perhaps if they made some videos available for download for a small fee, let's say $1.99 of which 90% goes to the video creator (kinda like a certain App Store). The video creator is then fairly compensated. I'm sure there would be a few legalities to be worked out, but I for one wouldn't mind being able to download a video to my smart phone now and then. I've watched the "Learn Fly Tying" Videos with Dave Cammiss That I've been to his Web Site in hopes that he had made them available on DVD. There's nothing worse than internet lag during a crucial point of a tying lesson.

TnTom

Before you delete, go back and read what I said - ask and I'll give you permission. You can message me through YouTube or you can email through my link. This applies to most of the better videos that are copyrighted on YouTube like TopFlyMan and PeattyMann. Don't erase - ask. And then ask first in the future. I think you'll find most of the people who put the videos up are doing it to share something - otherwise in my case they'd still be on tape in my personal collection. I just want to maintain some small bit of control after posting.

TxEngr

TnTom

Before you delete, go back and read what I said - ask and I'll give you permission. You can message me through YouTube or you can email through my link. This applies to most of the better videos that are copyrighted on YouTube like TopFlyMan and PeattyMann. Don't erase - ask. And then ask first in the future. I think you'll find most of the people who put the videos up are doing it to share something - otherwise in my case they'd still be on tape in my personal collection. I just want to maintain some small bit of control after posting.

TxEngr

I always thought that people put these types of videos on the web to share their expertise and wouldn't care if someone downloaded it for personal use. Why else put it on the web unless one wants their video to be used however it is easiest for the viewer? Whenever I have seen a copyright I always figured that it was there so that someone couldn't copy it to sell, or to show for profit, ot to take and call their own, or something like that. It just never occurred to me that someone would put a video on the worldwide web and only want people watching it on that site and nowhere else (at least not without asking). I don't mean this as a criticism, it just really never, ever occurred to me that someone who was posting a video that they were not posting for profit would care. I completely accept the fact that you and presumably others feel this way; it just never crossed my mind and I have to admit to being somewhat puzzled. 2000 views or 2,000,000 what's the difference if the point of posting something was just to share knowledge? Again, I'm really not trying to argue or criticize, it's just something I never would have known had this thread not been posted. So, thanks for the different point of view. Jon

Papa,

You're correct in that the information is posted to share with others. My expectation is that, if the video is good enough, others will want to watch it. My concern about the downloading is what that person will do with it after it is downloaded. If it's for personal use only, then it's not a problem but I request that the person ask me first. The issue of copyright on the web has brought out a lot of opinions. There are threads on this board and others about it with many different opinions. Even on this board, there are those that copyright their intellectual property - just go over to the Photography forum and a large number of the photos will bear the originators name and often a copyright logo on the photo. The originators use the web to share information. That is expected. They just want to try to protect something that they created by controlling how it is used beyond the posting method.

TxEngr

You can also download The Tying program "Fly Tying - The Anglers Art" http://kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx You'll have to download their OMN viewer but theirs lot's of other things you can watch their.

Fatman

I checked it out and found it to be very well done.

very interesting site. I was able to run the videos with the windows media player, a little streaming but not distracting at all. Found a great Crawdad. and looks like many. Also dvds for sale and the prices were very reasonable.

Thanks again

TnTom