Fly Tying
Ridleyffo

Big Brown's Luncheon Brace of Bows

I sat down sunday and started looking at all the stuff I got in my box from the Fly Tyers Dungeon to figure out how I could use the material. I was thinking about my buddy's old technique of live lining tiny stockies and using them to catch Stripers at a dam on Schuykill River in Philly. I guess I had Mouse6196's rainbow smelt in the back of my head too, so thanks for your nice jig rainbow smelt. Anyway here are my first attempts at using the congo hair. I really like it as it is very easy to handle, ties in real flat and seems to have great movement whether cut short or left long. The one saltwater hook is for my Striper buddy, the other two are tied on mustad #10 streamer hooks. Again lousy pics due to crappy camera. The body is wrapped like a mickeyfinn with silver holo tinsel

post-18764-1235529090_thumb.jpg

Hi RidleyFFO, I would add some eyes, and I use Loon Hardhead, or Softex to make the head wider and stiff. Great work and good post, Cheers, Futzer.

Thanks guys.

I was worried about the size. Small trout most places I fish. They collapse down to about 1/2" profile when wet as tied, which should work well for my quarry. I think at that size the eyes may be too prominent, thats why I switched to black thread on the last one, to hopefully suggest an eye. I like the idea of the softex to build up the profile too. I've never used Softex and was really going to start to tie some skok's mushmouths so I might as well spend the $10. I think with a wider profile at the head, eyes will make a great addition. 3d eyes or stickers do you suggest?

Two powerhouse tyers like yourselves commenting, really inspires me to ty harder.

I like the way those look, and they really shine. There should be plenty of action in the water!! And, I agree with Futzer, add the eyes!

Ray

Hi RidleyFFO, I would add some eyes, and I use Loon Hardhead, or Softex to make the head wider and stiff. Great work and good post, Cheers, Futzer.

Well I bought the Softex last night. I remembered reading somewhere to just dip the head right in the softex.

Obviously I have to "perfect" this technique as I definitely ruined the one I "dipped" . :wallbash: Maybe if I left it alone but it seemed so thick that I tried to spread it thinner down the wing. No it looks like a homeless trout that hasing bathed or washed its hair in a year. Feel free to laugh as it is just one of many from my archive of misdeeds and missteps.

Any tips will be appreicated.

An those 3d eyes are pricey. $2.50 for 21 small eyes. That is just crazy.

Hi Ridleyffo, Yes, softex takes getting the hang of it. I thin mine with a little goof off. www.goof-off.com. A few drops is all. First I have several Pettijean magic heads in different sizes that I hhave clipped lenghtwise so I can put on the hook behind the body material and under it to keep the head poofed out for volume. I use a dental rubber band to hold it in place by pinching down the body fibers behind the magic head to the hook shank. Not real tightly pinched, I do not want to softex in the magic head. I dip the head about 3/16 to a 1/4 inch in on a 3 inch streamer. A little more for bigger etc. I then invert the fly so the hook eye is facing up and let the softex flow down once it gets to where I want it I flip it over. I made a 18 inch piece of 2x4 with 1/4 foam glued to the last 6 inches of it on both 4 inch sides. I put several streamers at a time in there and then flip over the wood as I want the heads to hang up or down as they dry. The foam part hangs over the table edge. Just before the head gets almost solid I remove the magic head and rubberband. Usually the body material is thick enough to keep it from sticking to the magic head, some times I go down in goopy failure too. I glue the eyes on after the softex has dried. I have not had good luck trying to use a small paintbrush with softex. As for the 3D eyes, I buy them in Bulk, at http://www.shopwtp-inc.com/index.php?cPath...78b20a7585fa9e9. WTP, but they need a tax id to make an order, and they have a minimum purchase of I believe $100. I have not ordered from them in a couple years though so that may have changed. You can get the price down pretty well.

Cheers, Futzer.

Well I bought the Softex last night. I remembered reading somewhere to just dip the head right in the softex.

Obviously I have to "perfect" this technique as I definitely ruined the one I "dipped" . :wallbash: Maybe if I left it alone but it seemed so thick that I tried to spread it thinner down the wing. No it looks like a homeless trout that hasing bathed or washed its hair in a year. Feel free to laugh as it is just one of many from my archive of misdeeds and missteps.

Any tips will be appreicated.

An those 3d eyes are pricey. $2.50 for 21 small eyes. That is just crazy.

Thanks so much futzer for taking the time to write out those very descriptive instructions. They will help immensely. I'll have to figure out what those magic heads are but from your instructions sound like I could use a craft bead.

Thanks a bunch.