Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zach30151993

Beginner

Cabelas has a inexspensive tool kit that has almost everything you need for just under $30.

I say almost everything because I would throw away the whip finisher that comes with the kit and buy a Marteneli stye whip finisher.As for materials go to the step by step section on this forum and pick out a couple of patterns you might like to try and order the materials for them. One pattern I would suggest is the wooley bugger. It was the first pattern I learned to tie and I still tie them to this day.

Fred

Zach

You are in the right place to take up tying. The people at FTF are solid folk who would give you the shirt off their back. I agree that Cabelas is a great place to start. Check out the videos, visit your local shop and consider joining a fly tying/fishing club in your area. Check the library too. Our local library has some very current books on tying and it's a great resource. Welcome. It's a great way to relax.

Welcome!

I agree with the startup kits - if you dont have a Cabelas near you - many other places also have great little kits with a bit of all the basics. Once you have an idea what you're looking for you can start hounding your local taxidermists and fur coat repair shops for handouts! :devil:

-Clint

Welcome to the forum and to your new hobby. I have to agree with Fred H. too, a beginners kit is the way to go. I just bought the a Marteneli style whip finisher the other day, was doing hand whip finishing, it is a lot easier to use than the one in the kit. The vise won't be top of the line, but for the purpose of learning to tie it's not bad. I have read that when it comes to vises you should buy the best that you can afford. There are a lot of good vises for under $100.00. As for your first fly pattern, again I agree with Fred H. go with the woolly bugger it's easy to tie and you can get enough material to tie a few dozen for under $30.00. This sites sponsor (J Stockard) carries a lot of materials with reasonable shipping. The link is at the top of the page. Oh ya, Youtube can be a great source for learning how to tie a few patterns. Again welcome to the forums and your new hobby and remember just to have fun. :lol:

Cabela's has a vise in their Bargain Barn right now that retails for $60 which you can pick up for $18. It appears to be decent, I just ordered 3 for my 4-H club. It is a rotating clamp vise made by Made2Fly.

I bought a kit from Bass Pro...set me back about 60 bucks. Came with a pretty decent dvd that shows how to tie 6 different flies. The woolly booger, elk hair caddis, winged ant, adams, pheasant tail and gold ribbed hair's ear. A couple books that I have bought that I read and reread is "The Orvis Fly Fishing Guide" and "The Orvis Fly-Tying Guide". I like the way it takes a new beginner from ground floor to some more advanced information in an easy to understand format.