Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Silver Bullets

Striper Flys

Hey, I'm looking for someone that would like to trade or sell me some Mackerel(sp) flys.... I want to get a striper on a fly but dont have the skill or stuff to tye up any good Striper flys.... if any of u are interested reply to this post please!

Thanks,

Cody

Where are you fishing?

There are many, many good striper flies and they don't necessarily have to imitate mackeral to work.

If you can provide more details, I can probably help you out.

plenty of us to talk about useful patterns and instructions with- like DbleHaul said, let us know.

ok... I'm gonna be fishing some from a boat, in rivers and of the shore.... when we use spinning rods for them we put shrimp on a hook and it works like a charm, alot of people use mackeral.... i'm looking for something good size because we "can" get big ones, and we can get the normal 15-20 inch striped bass....

do any of u guys tye shrimp flys or mackeral? or maybe you know some good flys that work just as good, also all the fishing will be saltwater witch means for around here(Nova Scotia, Canada) the water isnt the clearest... so I will need something that kinda stands out i would think?

This is general and specific at the same time.

Joe Brooks Blonde Series, (Bob) Clousers, Lefty's (Kreh) Deceivers & Half&Half's, (Del Merkin) Crabs, Sand Lance (Sand Eel), Dahlberg Diver, Popovics' Surf Candy, Striblue's Featherbrain or Crabapple, Skok's Mushmouth, Rogers' Big Eye Baitfish, Rich Murphy's elaborate concoctions like the RM Soft Short and Conomo Special, etc.

I suggest you do a Google on names or patterns or even the search words 'striper flies' or 'grocery fly', or something like it- you'll come up with more than I can remember. Lots of information and recipes available in the web.

p.s. - don't knock your own tying skills; I'm willing to bet with some of the web pictures and instructions even a beginner can put together a nice fly, as long as proportions are paid attention to.

Never fished stripers but I sure have caught a large variety of fish species on the wooly bugger thats in your other post. Now I would just betcha they would work on stripers. rolleyes.gif

A White Wooly Bugger (or Yellow or Chartreuese or any combination of these) will catch Stripers. Most of the time, as long as what you're throwing reminds them of a minnow of some sort, you're in. Crustacean flies will work too, but I think the money fly will normally be a streamer.

If you are chasing big Stripers, (10# and up) try big Clousers, Deceivers, and flatwing streamers. Try posting this question on the Salt water board down below and you'll hear from some guys who chase the bruisers regularly. There's a great picture of a guy with a huge fly caught Striper in there somewhere.

Fishing for stripers in salt is a bit different. Wooly Buggeres just won't get it done there. SilverBullets, are you talking Tinker Mackerel. Do you have any bunker or sand eels in your area? Now I fish for stripers along the south Jersey Coast where the primary bait fish are Peanut Bunker, Silversides, Bay Anchovies and Mullet. We don't really see a whole lot of mackerel here except the spring run which is usually headed north with the bluefish snapping on their tails. What size are the mackerel? It be fun to tie you up a pattern to match that hatch, just to see if it would work. Let me know the size and I'll put one or two together for you.

That would be great Phil!

Yes we do have tinkers...... there around 12, 15 inches probly... i dont know what a bunker is(besides when i'm playing PaintBall hehe) and i think we do have sand eels!, the primary baits used around this area are Mackeral, and skwid, me and my dad just kinda figured out that shrimped would while we where trying it for flounder......

Just a little story on how much the striped bass like mackeral here, we where out spin rod fishing for stripers one say, when we seen a few jumps a ways off and let the current take us in, well when we got to where we seen the few jump.... the water just started boiling with the mackeral.. i dont just mean a few mackeral jump i mean the water was all white.... they where hitting under the bout and we even just took the net and put it in the water and got a bunch, we didnt get any pics because we used the last pic on the filem just minutes before this happened!

Philly- nothin' says a Bugger can't be tied on a saltwater hook! (it isn't such a bad idea, either! blink.gif )

Silver- a Bunker is a Menhaden, Pogie, whatever else it may be called in different areas.

Dfix

True, I just hate to see what a bluefish would do to one. I do tie a pattern that has some wooly bugger characteristics, and it's held up well when the the blues are hitting it.

Silver Bullets

12 to 15 inches, I don't think I have a hook or even two for a fly that big. I should be able to tie something in the 8 or 9 inch range that should work. Also, I'll tie you up a squid pattern to try, and a couple of sand eels. I'll let you know when they're done and you can give me your snail mail address.

lol they aint gotta be that big...... like a 2 inch fly would be good, sounds good tho!!!!!!! people around here dont use the hole mackeral... just either the back and not the head or the head... every mackeral fly i have seen is the head....