Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ffisher15

My Cherynoble ant

here is an ant I made, apparently this pattern is wicked for the bull trout and brown trout around here. Please tell me what could be better about this pattern!

I find the hardest part is cutting the foam the same size. Wish I had those cutters i have seen online.

DSCF2222.jpg

DSCF2219.jpg

It will catch fish.It looks like the ones i see them tying on u tube.Only thing,maybe like you said,one end looks a tad smaller than other.I usually tie this pattern just black.Last year i caught allot of trout on it.

my 2 cents

shane

Bet you did not know the Chernobyl ant was first tied by Emmett Heath, the Dean of the Green at Western Rivers fly shop in Salt Lake City. I was there and the group around the tying table came up with the name as a laugh. It stuck. It imitates the Mormon cricket, mythical bug, sort of. The fish on the Green river get all excited by almost anything big and buggy. Especially in June when the cicadas are out. They will come up to your fly and gently drag in under by one rubber leg, and let go of it to see how it moves. It can drive you crazy. Other times they will swim 10 feet out of their way to inhale one. One thing I do with the pattern is tie the legs doubled up, one rubber leg the size you have, and one thin tiny one together, so it has lots of wiggle.

Cheers, Futzer.

thanks for showing us that. Am going to start tying those up tomorrow i think...off to the toy store for more goodies! lol