Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Jumping into SLR's finally

Well I finally got into the whole SLR camera gang this week. Been wanting one for a long time and finally pulled the trigger and picked one up. Ended up getting a Canon 20D body, got a Sigma 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens on the way which should be here in about a week, just bought a TTL flash (330degree swivel/90 degree bounce) got some extension tubes ordered and a few other small odds and ends like flash defuser, extended eye cup, bag, filters and all the goodies.

The Camera body came today and I've been reading up all week on digital photography, sure is a lot to learn thats for sure. Actually considering taking a class at a local camera shop/studio that I found just to cut some off the learning curve.

Should have everything ready to start taking pics in about a week so looking forward to posting some shots and seeing how things go and what I need to learn.

Steve

Steve what kind of editing software are you going to be using with that set up? When I switched over to the world of digitial SLRs I found I spent more time at the computer editing my photos than I was outside taking pictures.

It came with a couple different software disc such as PS essentials and some other Canon software editing program. But I already have Photoshop CS2 which I think is probably better than ethier disc that came with the camera so I'll probably stick with that I'm thinking.

Steve

Grats Steel! Be sure to inquire the help from anyone here in the photography section. We have some great photogs over here who can help answer any questions you may have.

I look forward to seeing your stuff!

Have fun,

Steve, if you've already got CS2, you probably don't need anything else. Photography is still photography - shooting digital is pretty similar to shooting color slide film as far as dynamic range goes. The main difference is that you can make your corrections on the spot instead of waiting for the film, paying for it and finding out you're screwed. Good luck with the new toy. BTW, you might as well start saving up now for the $25,000 worth of gear you'll be drooling over in the near future. :crying:

Steve, if you've already got CS2, you probably don't need anything else. Photography is still photography - shooting digital is pretty similar to shooting color slide film as far as dynamic range goes. The main difference is that you can make your corrections on the spot instead of waiting for the film, paying for it and finding out you're screwed. Good luck with the new toy. BTW, you might as well start saving up now for the $25,000 worth of gear you'll be drooling over in the near future. :crying:

Can you ever have too many fly rods and or lenses :) Saving now for a Macro Lense and a 2.8 something just not such which :)

Lens as well as the flash I bought off ebay both came yesterday so I should be snapping some pics tomorrow when I get some time. Here' the rig all set and waiting to be tried out.

canon20d.jpg

First thing you need to do is store your pictures somewhere, so that when you click on th image to see it full size, you don't get advertisements for boners.

<_<

I thought it was the direct link to it. I don't use image shack but have to for FTF because for some reason FTF wont show my pics when I post them here now every since that problem a few months ago with the hacker thing.