Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pat R

rabbit strips

I was wondering the best way to cut 1/8" strips for fly bodies without cutting the hair on a full rabbit skin?It seems to be too stretchy.

I have found that the best way to cut rabbit pelts is to get a clip board a tight pile shag carpet remnant and put the skin on top of the carpet when cutting. The carpet provides padding and means for the blades to bypass the rabbit hair and only cut the remnant. Hope this helps!

I just use a good sharp Xacto knife. I use a strait edge (I picked mine up at a flea market) that is made of metal. Mine is the ruler part from a square. then make a few passes till its through the hide. Doing it like this allows me to mark the skin and do the cuts. It is a little time consuming but I usually cut about 10 strips that are at least 6" long. I also use a mustache comb or my cats flea combs to get out all the loose under fur and save it for dubbing. so its a sorta a bounus.

This is what has worked best for me.

I stretch & tack them to a wide board using several finishing nails, fur side down. I then insert a piece of wood about 1/2 inch wide X 5/16 inch thick, and about 18 inches long, under each end. This raises the pelt up from the board. I then cut my strips free hand with a utility knife, starting on my left, and working my way across until I have cut the whole hide. I'm right handed so I cut with my right. I vary the width, but mostly I cut them about 1/8 inch wide.

If needed I re-stretch & re position the nails. I also tug on the edge of the strips as I cut them. I also set the knife blade so it's out of the handle just enough to cut thru the hide. This way I seldom cut much hair. Keep in mind you want to cut with the hair, from head to tail, not against to minimize cutting hair.

I leave the strips intact, and do not cut thru the edges until I'm ready to use them. The edge hair is not always usable anyway for strips, but I do save it for dubbing.

Day5, Riderboss, and myself cut up our own last year with a zonker tool that Riderboss concocted. It workpretty good, perhaps one of them will post pics or directions for making a cutter. We did not use a stretching frame but I would strongly recomend using one. Two guys holding and one cutting barely did the trick.

RB