Fly Tying
mahaney

Advice on a vice

I'm interested in purchasing my first vice, so I can begin tying flies for gar. My budget is $200 total. This needs to cover the vice and tools that I need to get started. Should I look at getting a "starter kit" or just start would a good vice?

Thanks,

-Jim

Be sure to "test drive" as many vises as you can. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Do invest in a good pair of scissors, one large pair and one small with serrated blades.

Mahaney, is this $200 just for a vice an tools... or are you going to grab basic materials aswell... ?

I suppose just vice, tools and a book.... I've looked at some of the starter kits from Orvis, but I am not sure if they really come with good equipment. I imagine it would be better just to buy it piece by piece and try to buy the best tools I can afford. If I need to spend all $200 just on the vice, then that is what I'll do.

-Jim

My first vice cost $80, I'm still using it, never had a problem with it. Where you want to put the money into is the tools.. especially, and look through the books before you decide on one, find one you could read more than once.. i own about 5 i dont take off the shelf anymore..

I got a regal spring-loaded clamp vise as a demo item from a fly shop locally and love it. I think I paid like $50 for it or so. I really like the squeeze action vs. the cam tighten of most vices.

My .02.

KD

Don't want to sound pushy or anything, but while doing your shopping don't forget Green Caddis Outfitters. Supporting GCO helps keep this forum going. And no, I don't have any financial interest in GCO.

The Orvis kit is of good Quality, I recommend it for all my students just starting out.. Or buyan Anvil vise for 99.99 and an orvis clearwater tool kit for 29.99. Either setup is fine...