Fly Tying
lytle

Tools that you use that ARNT from flytying.

I just made up a list for my Dad. Things that I need him to send me so that I can tie up some stuff and that was left out of my goodie box. And it got me to thinking on how resorcefull we as fly tyers can actully be. Esp with the materials but also in the tool department...

Here are some of the Doo Dads that I have accumulated over the years that I use for tying..

Sewing needles- If they bend the wont work on the sewing machine...but they are great for applying little drops of head cement.

Small craft nails- Making Eyes on Thunder Creek Minnows. Started doing this while making spinner baits. Cut of the sharp parts and i actually have a nice selection of sizes to do various size eyes. have actually used needles also.

Emory boards- Ok..mom used to get really hacked when i would take these. great for shaping cork for poppers. I actually would split and glue wine corks on hooks. yup..did it the "Old School" way.

Split ring pliers- I never could use a whip finisher. countles ones have ended up being thrown so i just do the half hitch method. if my fingers arent behaving i just grab my small split ring pliers and use the part that has the little nib on them and off i go.

The Chopper- One hobby feeds another..This is a tool that is used by model railroaders to cut little peices of wod and plastic while building things. I use it to cut things to the same size..Chennel, floss, lead wire. it uses a single blade razor and it is replaceable.

The True Sander- another one of my ummmm rail road toys. I use it for getting the angle just right on poppers that are cork.

Guitar String- Ever loose your bobbin threader? I gave up buying them. so I snagged one of my little brothers guitar strings. the smallest one. ( I dont play just use em..lol) I formed a little bend in it. wrap a piece of thread around it and just pull the thing thru. IDK it works...lol..

Most of these have come about working really late getting flys done and loosing stuff that was needed...ok..so the cats take off with stuff from the room from time to time..thier way of getting back from the use of clippers and such..Come on..you have done it..lol...but like i said..late nights and WAY to much coffee is what made me do some of this. Most of the time it was like...I wonder if this will work....and when it does u go..dang..thats a lot eisier!!!!

So..whats some of your tools?

A film canister packed with scotch-brite pad. Pop a hole in the lid of the canister with a bobkin and pull it in and out to clean cement, paint, etc. off of your bobkins.

A hollowed out Bic pen for stacking hairbugs and an electric noes hair trimmer for trimming them.

A toy merry-go-round. I took it from my sister years back and glued foam all around it. Now I've converted it into a drying wheel for epoxy.