Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started out with a Cabela's vise which came with a kit I bought from them. Although it was still going strong, I decided to upgrade several years ago and bought a Griffin Montana Mongoose. It is a nice vise but there is something about it, that I can't put my finger on, that I don't like. It holds hooks well, is well made (except for the plastic knobs), and is fairly easy to use, but I'm just not happy with it. I have already given my wife the word, I want a HMH Spartan for Christmas.

Have a Renzetti Traveller. Like its functionality and portability. I've had no problems with its holding power on 24-2/0 with the standard cam jaw. I only have the pedestal base and want to get a c-clamp to help when tying fly patterns that need higher thread tension. This is, however, the only vice I have owned so not much of a basis to make any comparative observations.

I've got a pair of Renzetti Traveler Vices. The clamp stays on my bench, the pedestal travels with me. They just work!

I have a Renzetti Traveler purchased in 1999 and am still using the 2nd set of O-rings. I am somewhat of a Ludite and like the simple design of this vise.

I started out with an inexpensive kit vise which quickly wore out and went to a Thompson A. I now use a Griffin Odyssey, it works OK but I'm not really happy with it and am looking for another upgrade.

I have several vises that I use to depending on what I am doing. I tie small flies on the Renzetti to include small poppers and foam flies. I use an HMH for clousers and streamers. I also found a vise from down under that is very well made and I also use for tying. I guess I just like to try different vises and have fun with them. I probably have 6 or 8 vises.

I 've just order a HMH spartan vice with omni jaws for medium saltwater flies.

As soon as i deliver and start tying i let you know my thoughts and i 'll post my photos.

For this price i think i made a good choise.

For home use I tie on a HMH (API) Presentation and a Nor-vise. Depends on what I'm tying. Love the versatility of the HMH vise with the multiple jaws and tube fly conversion. Love the speed of the Nor-vise. When travelling, I tie on a Griffin 3ARP and Odyssey. Not as refined but does the job and easier to replace if lost, stolen or forgotten in some hotel room, cabin, etc.

Love the Regal Medallion Series with the bronze pedestal base. It's served me well for a lot of years. such an easy to operate vise! :D

I would say that you need to check out the 720 fly wheel vice, this is the coolest vice that I have ever worked with, I believe that it is the BEST vice , just see what this thing can do

There have been some posts recently from newbies asking for advice about vises. So, I thought it would be a good time to get everybody's 2 cents worth and proved some information for them.

I have been through 8 or 9 different vises since I started tying, and until now haven't been really happy with any of them. It's still early in our relationship, but it appears I will be happy with my latest vise but that could change, I am kind of fickled.

It's funny how some tyers can be chauvanistic and defensive about thier vises, so in this poll I would like to hear what you like best and least about your vise. And don't tell me you vise is perfect, none of them are.

I started with a Thompson "A" and now I'm using an HMH. I've run the gambit through Renzetti, D-K, Thompson and a few others and I have found that in my case, a rotary vise isn't an advantage for me. I prefer a more linear fixed platform to tie from. Also, the design of the rotary arm seemed to always be in the way, tying Clousers on one is awkward.

I prefer cam-lock jaws but Dyna-King's jaws are a little too efficient, I've lost count on how many hooks I have crushed in them. The old Renzetti jaws with the cheezy rubber band on them are crap and were the reason I got rid of mine. I'm not using my Cobra anymore because of the jaws and the rotary arm (two strikes) although it is a very good vise for small flies.

So far I'm happy with the HMH, although I would prefer the Magnum jaws not have grooves machined into them, it isn't good for japanned salmon fly hooks.

I use a Renzetti. the least desireable feature that I don't like is after about 15 - 20 dozen BWO's you have to clean and relube everything.

What I like best is obviously the rotary feature.us Your waste is almost zero with tinsels, chenille, and saddle hackles.

I have a Regal and really like it for the flies I tie. I've had it for about ten years, and it's done me fine. I don't have the midge jaws so it may not be great for the smaller flies, but then my eyesight is going, and I have friends that tie up small flies better than I can - and they are good friends that are always willing to share!

I would say that you need to check out the 720 fly wheel vice, this is the coolest vice that I have ever worked with, I believe that it is the BEST vice , just see what this thing can do

I use a 720 also, it's awesome.

I already posted here but recently I upgraded to an Anvil Apex. This thing ROCKS!

The jaws hold a hook perfect, big and small. Rotory is smooth ;)

DEMO.jpg

I use a 720 also, it's awesome.

thank's I hope you pick one up. they are diggty dank!