Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been some posts recently from newbies asking for advice about vises. So, I thought it would be a good time to get everybody's 2 cents worth and proved some information for them.

I have been through 8 or 9 different vises since I started tying, and until now haven't been really happy with any of them. It's still early in our relationship, but it appears I will be happy with my latest vise but that could change, I am kind of fickled.

It's funny how some tyers can be chauvanistic and defensive about thier vises, so in this poll I would like to hear what you like best and least about your vise. And don't tell me you vise is perfect, none of them are.

I started with a Thompson "A" and now I'm using an HMH. I've run the gambit through Renzetti, D-K, Thompson and a few others and I have found that in my case, a rotary vise isn't an advantage for me. I prefer a more linear fixed platform to tie from. Also, the design of the rotary arm seemed to always be in the way, tying Clousers on one is awkward.

I prefer cam-lock jaws but Dyna-King's jaws are a little too efficient, I've lost count on how many hooks I have crushed in them. The old Renzetti jaws with the cheezy rubber band on them are crap and were the reason I got rid of mine. I'm not using my Cobra anymore because of the jaws and the rotary arm (two strikes) although it is a very good vise for small flies.

So far I'm happy with the HMH, although I would prefer the Magnum jaws not have grooves machined into them, it isn't good for japanned salmon fly hooks.

I have two vices. Like you I stated out with a Thompson A. I tied on it for year, but when I started tying dry flies I wanted a rotary vice.

So I went out and got a Renzetti traveler pedestal base, its not the cam lock. I think I go the last one were you have to tighten down the screws.

I like especially the bobbin cradle. I have tied from sizes 3/0 down to 22 on this vice. It has served me well.

My tying sensi has me in the mind set of a vice just holds the hook. I can not see spending $300 plus on a vice !

Just so I can have brass instead of aluminum! (Renzetti presentation) I'm sure each manufacture brings something different to a vice.

My skill level is just not there to notice the differences.

I used a fixed position regal for years...and if anyone wants to know how long they last it was my father's before I got it - its seen a ton of use and doesn't show any of it.

But lately I've been using a Barracuda that I won as a prize and I used to think it was foolish to pay $300 or more on a vise but this thing is just so sweet. And the rotary function is awesome - took a bit to learn how and when to use it but now that I do I use it all the time.

I use the Dynaking Barracuda, with a Renzetti Traveler as my back-up. I used to be entirely Renzetti, but switched for the same reasons as TroutBum.

I've been through alot myself. When I production tied (in my late teens into my VERY early 20's) I went through 3-4 vises a year (would wear out the jaws on those cheap vises). Wish I had only known about alot of things back then (like who the wholesalers were, etc). Had a griffin for a few years (the odyssey). Finally got fed up with that vise, and did a big search on vises. At the time, had it narrowed down to a norvise or a dynaking. I didn't like the renzettis, seemed too "cheap" for the price. Could hold a hook, but seemed like a cheap pot metal vise. Light is great, but guess I have too much testoterone (insert grunts here lol). The only problem with norvise at the time was that they'd slip on big fly hooks (which is what most of my customers order here). Luckily, the jaws were corrected. Love the more machined products, and in end will have a bit of everything. LOL. Have the dynaking barracuda for my main vise. Going to buy the junior trekker for my travel vise (is very light and still a machined vise). Awaiting my HMH tube fly vise (I feel it's the best on the market if you want a vise just for tubes, way better then the renzetti). Also will be getting a norvise too. Especially for big orders, this baby truly shines. Plus, never hurts to have too many vises. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

When I started it was on a vise given to me by a friend at work because he quit fishing and tying, so I started out pretty good with materials.

The vise he gave me was an Old Herters #9, still have it and still use it. but I wanted something after a year that was totally new and all mine and I went through the vise article and tried out LOT"S of vises, I have a great local shop and when I took my class tried many of them.

I chose the Dyna-King Kingfisher and it has been excellent. I got a deal on it when they had a sale and only paid $75.00 for it. For christmans last year my daughter was in an Old stuff new stuff store in Michigan and found brand new in the box a Thompson Model A and paid $5.00 for it. Got it as a christmas present and use this one also, plus it had a base plate which was cool.

I do wish I had the midge jaws for my Kingfisher but I'm not paying $39.00 to get them and what I have is just perfect for me at this stage in my tying.

Fatman

I own about a dozen vises standard and rotary depending what I am tying will decided which vise I am using. dunno.gif

OSD.

I started out with a very cheap vice that came with a kit. That one was quickly replaced with a Griffin A2 vise. It does the trick, but would like someday to upgrade to a rotory.

Art

Im still using the cheap cam vise I got with a kit about 3 years ago, its so worn out now it cant hold any size of hook. I'm getting a peak vise from the US , ordered it today, cant wait biggrin.gif

I started tying when I was real young on my Grandpa's Renzetti. After a few years I realized that I should get my own vise to tie at home. So I bought a kit from Wars. Vise was terrible, maybe I was a "little" spoiled from tying on my Grandpa's vise. So I bought a Renzetti Cam Traveler and it couldn't work better (for my tying), great range of hook sizes.

Interesting thread....

Many years ago I bought a flytying kit from Cabelas. I still tie on the vice that came in that kit. It's the Cabelas Master Vice which I see sells for about 25 bucks. I have tied hundreds of flies on it over the years. I will say that the jaws are starting to wear out and the hooks will slip or pop out if not positioned just right.

Might be time for a new vice. I look forward to reading additional comments generated by this question.

Tom

I started with a Thompson model B and graduated to a model A and I now use a Renzetti Traveler and have for about 15 years. I love it ! I have the clouser arm and have it mounted on a Dyna king swing arm with a trash catcher. The rotary feature not only sped up my tying but helped with the quality of fly I was turning out. Spinning hackle on my dries is a breeze these days!

Tube blink.gif

I've been using a Danvise, for the last 7 years or so. Reasonably priced, around $80. It's a true rotary, and I've tied flies on ranging from size 32 up to 5/0. Not very pretty, but it does it's job.