Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly_fischa

I need a haircut

Tied these possum emergers for a swap. It’s predominantly a lake fly. Floats all day is indestructible and the brown trout don’t seem to mind their scruffiness.

The ingredients are native Australian possum tail, dk. Brown UNI-flex ribbing tied on a tiemco 13# 102Y.]

Hope you like it.

3455541560_76674648f7_o.jpg

3455541636_f00f35bbf2.jpg

Fantastic! :clapping: :thumbup: I love this pattern. The scruffiness gives it a great "buggy" quality.

Could you up-load the pattern and tying materials to the pattern database? I'd like to give this pattern a try myself. Thanks for sharing.

Great fly. Looks like a fish catcher!

Wouldnt this fly translate well to the streams and rivers as well? I ask as I still consider myself a rookie. I never really understood a true difference in lake for stream fly but assumed it had only to do with differing forage.

Please enlighten me. Thanks!

That is an amazing looking emerger! I'm with letumgo, do you think you could upload the material list and tying instructions? Thanks for sharing!

Cody

Here's another vote for adding the pattern and instructions. Looks like a killer.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I will add it to the Database when I get a chance :)

Ridleyffo ; I agree it probably would fish well on rivers depending on the circumstances/kind of water, size and maybe colour of the mayflies. The only thing I see being a problem is that the fly doesn't lend itsef well to tying smaller sizes.

I was introduced to this fly by a good friend he is well known Tasmanian guide. We fished it as a point fly on a highland lake on a three fly rig. The same possum emerger stayed on the point that day and caught 9 out of 12 good browns :D

Early on in the hatch only gink up the loop wing, as the hatch progresses gink the rest up. It works well as a pulling fly, YES don't be afraid to move this fly, it also works well as a static fly in calm conditions.

The hardest tying step to explain is the wing. To tie the wing you twist it clockwise into a rope (not too tight). Not letting go bring the end of the wing material in front of the tie in point, the twisted strands form a loop. Pinch with your left hand if you are right handed, and secure with firm wraps. I'll try to add an illustration/photo of the step when I can.

Hope this makes sense :huh: