Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cjforsyt

Fiber Optic

I got my hands on some fiber optic cord that it 0.010 in dia from an archery store. I was wondering about any patterns that might use it I have it in Green and yellow. I was thinking something like a copper john or give some light to a green weenie. Any other ideas?

make real sure that you don't stick the end in your finger. it breaks off just like glass. you have a hard time getting it out of your skin afterward. :wallbash:

To be honest, I don't think that it is flexible enough to bend in a small radius...i.e. wrapping a hook shank. I splice the stuff and it is not as supple as it seems.

Dont know about the .010 fiber optic, but I picked up a lamp with 1000's of the little fiber optic threads . They change colors in cycles and it kinda intrigued me...for tying applications. So after reading your question, I tied a few up with the F.O. as a ribbbing....as long as you dont crank down on it too much ..it works. Wraps nicely and actually holds the shape...I dropped the end a few times and it stayed wrapped. So I would say go for it! :headbang:

I think it only changes colour when you shine a coloured light down one end. Without the light it's just a colourless piece of plastic/glass (?).

Thats not true, a F.O. thread has color, generally yellow or green and before mentioned.

I say go for it, post a picture when you try it!

Jan

Well I'm on military duty for another week yet but then I'll get a few done and the pics posted. I was thinking about ribbing and as a tail light. If anything I could tie some just for show.

B)