Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sonny Edmonds

Nor-Vise Spicific

I've been tying with mine for about 3 yrs or so now and for the most part I'm very happy with it. I've tied as big as 2/0 flies on it, including packed deer hair bugs with ZERO hook slipage. I know some don't think it has the jaw strength for that but I've had no problems on the first 2 dozen of that syle tying. The only real shortfall I have is that I have a hard time tying dries smaller than a #12 on the straight jaw set up. I'm going to need to pony up for the other jaws if I'm going to use it for the smaller stuff. I've put about 6-700 flies through it at this point and Can't really complain a whole lot. And nope I don't use waxed 3/0 monocord, but I have used 3/0 Uni without a problem in my bobbin. :)

I've been tying with mine for about 3 yrs or so now and for the most part I'm very happy with it. I've tied as big as 2/0 flies on it, including packed deer hair bugs with ZERO hook slipage. I know some don't think it has the jaw strength for that but I've had no problems on the first 2 dozen of that syle tying. The only real shortfall I have is that I have a hard time tying dries smaller than a #12 on the straight jaw set up. I'm going to need to pony up for the other jaws if I'm going to use it for the smaller stuff. I've put about 6-700 flies through it at this point and Can't really complain a whole lot. And nope I don't use waxed 3/0 monocord, but I have used 3/0 Uni without a problem in my bobbin. :)

Good to know, Lance. Thank You.

Now I am wondering if anybody thinks like me and is willing to modify what they have to do what they want the tool to do? <_<

I'm interested in tying "buggy" sorts of fly's, like what I grew up with. The Adams and Elk Hair Caddis' are two I know I used in my youth.

I could see gently modifying the small jaws into a more graceful tip if need be before actually springing the $98 for the kit.

But I'm going to wait, I have to, tracking sez tomorrow is the delivery date. I've been checking every day, (twice a day,) at the UPS site.

Uhh.. no, I'm not anxious... :wallbash:

Clarification: I have a shop full of tools for wood working. I didn't buy any one tool until I could see a second, or more way's, I could use it in my shop. I've never been above modifying something to get to where I wanted to be with it. Like Harley's and Hot Rods, it isn't yours until you make it yours. And yep, I slicked up the $29.95 vise I am currently using.

But like a stream, I have somewhere I am going....

Thanks again, Lance. :)

Sonny did you get your vise? I've had mine for about 2 yrs and wouldn't give it up for anything . Once you get used to it you'll love it. I don't tie many dry flies mostly nymphs and streamers. I've tied spun deer hair on size 2 hooks and tied nymps down to a size 18 (about as small as I can manage). Like I said once you get used to it you will love it. I haven't had any problems with my automatic bobbin either.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.