Fly Tying
mhackney

Looking for homemade vise ideas

Hello, I am going to be instructing 12 Boy Scouts in fly fishing this summer. Fly tying is a requirement. I was thinking it would be cool to give each Scout a vise to keep to hopefully prolong their interest. SO, I am thinking about making a simple vise that can hold a size 20 to size 4 hook. Does anyone have any ideas, plans, tips, etc? I would like to keep the cost to around $5 per vise if possible.

cheers,

Michael

You can rig up a functional vise if you get a small pair of needle nose vise grip type pliers and weld them to a small C clamp. You might be able to get close to your $5 target if you buy imports from a place like Harbor Freight.

Hemostats.

Often you can find them at swap meets or flea markets.

Then have the boys mount them to a base like an inverted C-clamp to get some height. Electrical tape comes to mind. or rubber bands even.

Simple. Keep it simple. It's meant to let them try it.

My first fly's as a child were actually that, fly's.

I'd catch them and mount them on a small hook and varnish them.

They looked real because they were.

Didn't work worth a chit. But who cares? I was having fun and using my wild imagination.

I was using one of my dad's bench vises in the shop.

Great ideas, thanks guys! The Steve's vice looks simple and I can get hobby knifes at Harbor Freight for real cheap.

cheers,

Michael

My first vise was a popcicle stick glued verticly to a box that had another, cut in half, glued to the top end at an angle. I then used rubberbands to make the 2 halves clamp a hook. But it will not hold much smaller than a #14 hook.

I then built one out of an antler after seeing it in the Curtis Creek Manifesto. Use a dremmil tool to slot the tip back about an inch and a half. Carefully drill a hole through the tip about 3/4" back and insert a screw with wing nut through that. Epoxy the scrwe head down to help hold when tightening.

I then built one out of an antler after seeing it in the Curtis Creek Manifesto. Use a dremmil tool to slot the tip back about an inch and a half. Carefully drill a hole through the tip about 3/4" back and insert a screw with wing nut through that. Epoxy the scrwe head down to help hold when tightening

That was my first vise.....it worked fairly well too....and it looks good too....LOL :blink: