Fly Tying
vegasphotoman

Yellowstone Fishing trip

Well, just got back from 5 days in Yellowstone and Grand Teton Natl Park, thought this would be the flyfishing trip of a lifetime, and it was!!!! Event though I only got a few fish to snap at my flies, and caught 3 brookies in a real small creek, it was still awsome! :yahoo:

Gorgeous scenery and plenty of fishing spots everywhere......

Fishing on the Firehole river, around 2 hours before sunset, there was a herd of Buffalo across the river, as I fished they got alot closerr, to the point of ok this is getting uncomfortable, right about when the caddis were coming out, in swarms, along the far bank, right where the buffaloes were, fish were flying out of the water for the caddis. Well ofcourse buffalo are very dangerous, and they were getting within 30 feet of me so I had to bail, BUMMER! best opportunity of the week :-( dang buffaloes are like cockroaches in Yellowstone lol :bugeyes:

Overall I only seen one guy catch a small brown, everyone else I chatted with didnt do well at all, might have been warm stream temps or lack of hatches.

We also fished about every other stream or river in Yellowstone without luck, didnt see many fish, did see some small fish, but it was thin.

:headbang: Panguitch Lake in Utah, we did well there with 7 Cutthroats 18-23 inchers caught and 3 big Rainbows. All catch and release (15-22 inchers had to be tossed back) plus it was spawn season and all of the inlets were shut down to fishing until July 11th 2009.

caught most all of them on Hares Ear beadhead nymph, some with a salmon egg place on the hook. Also fly caught a few smaller trouts, on dry fly with a dropper, they bit the dry (caddis #16) there wasn't a hatch, they were just inexperienced fishes I suppose.

The wife cuaght all hers on salmon egg and a small hook.

Lost a one due to my inexperience, letting the rod get poionted directly at the trout, when it tugged it snapped the 4x line. Keep your pole at a 90 degree angle to the fish!! let the rod flex do it's job is what I learned.

plus Fish are finnicky!

We gave a few flies and nymphs to a guy at the campground, he was spin fishing the outlet area of the lake near the dam with no luck, so we shared some of my flies and fishing ideas to him and his kids, hope they cought atleast one.

Cheers, Vegasphotoman :rolleyes:

post-17947-1246999117_thumb.jpg

post-17947-1246999124_thumb.jpg

post-17947-1246999135_thumb.jpg

Nice. I'm going up there the August 30th. Thanks for the info.

Speaking of buffalo being a PITA. I sat on the road for an hour while a herd meandered across the road.

post-17722-1247001931_thumb.jpg

Shoot, you can get right up next to Yellowstone Buffalo or any of the wildlife for that matter, you just have to use Yellowstone Rules. Cheers Futzer

In Yellowstone the Buffalo hatch is always on. They are in the road constantly. We followed a bull down the middle of the road (him weaving from lane to lane) along the Madison for about a quarter of a mile at a leisurley walk. Him walking, us driving. I pulled over and fished for an hour and a half thinking that he would be off the road and traffic would be cleared. I caught up with him and the traffic about 2 miles down the road. He had traffic backed up 100 cars deep and had no intention of letting anyone by. Cars were honkng, people were getting angry and trying to go around him, some people were afraid to go around him. It was crazy. He finally wondered off the road and out into a meadow with the rest of the herd. I did get some buff hair for fly tying. It is pretty course but makes for real hairy bodies.

Love Yellowstone. My goal is to take a year off work and spend a year exploring the park and fishing every creek, river, pond and lake. :rolleyes: Like that is going to happen.

Thanks for the post.

Rob

I just gopt back on the 5th from 10 days, half in the park and half on the Henry's Fork, and it was awesome. Stunning scenery everywhere you look and blanket hatches of PMDs, caddis, Flav, Green Drakes, and Brown Drakes every day...just sick!