Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
firebug

My First Maribou Mouse

I have tried spinning deer hair into mice with ho-hum results and wanted a quicker way to make a mouse. Thoughts?

I think I need some more material to lift the "forehead" and make the ears more upturned

Looks really nice, but I'm thinking it probably won't float for very long. Marabou is absorbent and so will probably sink your mouse after several retrieves.

Maybe just me.

Jan

I've found marabou to actually be quite bouyant.....until it gets waterlogged. I'm wondering if you put some sort of flotant on the marabou,(a powder like Frog's Fanny) if it would actually float for a while as long as it wasn't pulled under too much. I'd give it a go and see how it performs, cause I noticed when I tied a wooly bugger on, that I really had to get it under the water for a while for it to actually start sinking for me cause the marabou was so bouyant. The foam will help float it too.

Gave it a test run in the tub, needs just a little more bouyance on the front, but it floated somewhat butt down head up. Kinda like a mouse would.

Hey Firebug, good creativity, may I suggest some closed cell foam in there for bulk and boyancy.

Cheers, Futzer.

Yea to expand on what Futzer said....cut some long strips of foam and wrap it around the shank of the hook. Then put in the marabou....however you are doing it spinning, wrapping....whatever. On the head I would cut out another piece just like you have and glue the two together...It may float in the tub for a while but won't float all day...

Also if I was you I would attach a little tag end of foam to the tail....just at the tip...I'm Imagining the tip of that mouse being toward the surface with a bow in the tail to the rear end...

As far as the ears or wiskers go added them if you want to impress others....Tie for Throw or Show, choose your own adventure.