Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Chect pack or vest

At work staring at blue skies and 68 degree temps from my office window.

Always in search of becoming more efficient. My mind started to think about fishing and how I carry all my stuff.

My questions to the board is this.

Do you carry all your gear in a vest or a chest pack ?

If you have tried both, why do you prefer one over the other ?

Also have you found one better than another ?

If so what distinguishes it from the others? Any neat little features like built in zingers or tippet holders ?

I prefer the chest packs. I like having everything right in from of me. Not looking in this pocket or that pocket for something.

Only down side I have with my chest pack it I find it lacking the space to carry that extra fly box. This Christmas I am looking for a new one.

One that has a pack on the front and one on the back. Any recommendations ? Need to get the order in early or the wife will by me a tie ! crying.gif

I use the deluxe chest pack from cabelas. It is great and under 50 bucks. IT has front and back pouches and spots for two bottles of water.

John headbang.gif

Here is just a little humor where I have included the old fashioned vest packs.. I use a chest pack..even though i mistakenly refer that I use a vest pack... this was done just for fun. Each year I do a top tem list of overpriced or useless fishing products... Now the vest is not useless...just too many pockets. here is the first list and don't take offense..please. This was cut and pasted from another Forum...instead of typing it out. ....................OK this is the 1ST ANNUAL REVIEW.. Please note that this is my opinion and not meant to insult or offend. This is for year 2002. so here goes...... Number 10- PLASTIC SQUEEZE WATER BOTTLES-Why anyone would pay up to 5 bucks for this is beyond me when they can buy one at a local variety store for a buck ... with the water in it. Number 9---DOG CUSHIONS-- I only mention this because I am trying to figure out why Orvis would devote 2 pages in it's flyfishing catalogue to advertise Dog Cushions... anyone know why? NUmber 8-- CERAMIC NIPPERS-Why? ..because they don't work..that's why. Number 7---FLIP FOCALS-- You know... the ones you attach to the brim of your hat and look though from about 1 foot.. the same ones that go flying off with your5 fly on every 5th roll cast. Number 6-- ABEL MINI TOOL-- $40 bucks.... please!!!!! Number 5- HAWAIIAN PRINT FLATS SHIRTS-- Good for Apres flyfishing and at the local watering hole... but on the flats .. a sure fire way to scare the poop out of every fish.. all I can say is ,"Bookem, Dano". Number 4--- TRADITIONAL MULT-POCKET FISHING VESTS - Sorry guys... but until I got rid of mine and opted for the simple vest pack, I had this continious nightmare of being swamed by PETA members all looking like the cast of the original "Night of the Living Dead" and I was frantically looking for my car keys.... but kept ripping useless flyfishing gadgets from the pockets.. I can even talk about it now... but .. don't worry.. the vests are now being used as mandatory equipement at local Adult education programs teaching ,"How to improve and strenghten your Memory". Number 3--WATERPROOF FLY BOXES-- Why I ask? You will be getting you flies wet anyway by opening and closing all day.. they may keep the water out but they also keep it in... so if you forget to wash out your box.. if in saltwater ..on a Sunday night... by next weekend you will have the look of that German Guy who opened the Ark of the Covenant in the first Indiana Jones Movie. Number 2- ORVIS STRIKE INDICATORS-- The low Flow indicator.... the Turn -on stike indicator... the nymph tracker indicator... and My favorite... the Pop - Top indicator.... The stick always points in the dirction of the fly.. when the stick is up... the fly is straight below... idicatating optimal drift...The product should come with a copy of Stephen Hawkings, " The Universe In a Nut Shell",, you should then master the concepts of Quantum Mechanics... and wear your flip-focals. Number 1 and an all timmer-- ORVIS ONE SHOE FOR EVERY SITUATION-- For $150 bucks you get the shoe.. then you pay $30 bucks and get the studded felt insert sole... then for another $30 bucks you get the studded rubber insert sole... then for just $20 bucks more you get the Plain felt sole... you do the Math... well that's it folks

That's funny striblue I seen that on the other forum and that cracks me up. Now I wear a vest but all those pockets mainly hold packs of smokes and lighters biggrin.gif

Guest another J. Johnson

I vote for a vest with lots of pockets, each with its own closure. I started a search for the perfect vest for years, decided there wasn't one, and went into a search for a tackle bag, chest pack, fanny pack - whatever. I tried a Wood River bag, a belt pack from Cabela's, an Osprey waist pack from Creek Company, a shoulder bag, none of them worked well for me, and all of them would spill contents at one time or another. I have an Original Henry's Fork vest made by Columbia for the Leonard Rod Co., that makes it 26 years old and just about done, but it was a good one, and I would buy another. I also have a Patagonia vertical pocket vest that just doesn't feel right when I use it . Can't tell you why, I just don't care for it. My current choice would be one of the Orvis vests, even though they are overpriced, but then again what isn't since we have seen " the movie". I like the idea of the individual pockets on the back for extra reels or spools. If my search has taught me anything, it has made me more aware of the stuff I carry, and do I really need to always carry it all. I no longer stuff the vest full of every " just in case " gadget and fly that I own. This is one time when more is not better.

Jim Johnson

Have used vest and chest packs and there are advantages to each. Now I use something I REALLY like thumbsup.gif ... a bandoler from Cabela's. Easy on and off, comfortable, and holds eveything I need (still have a couple empty pockets).

Another J. Johnson?!?! wink.gif

Anyway, I haven't tried a chest pack yet, but I love my vest. Except for the broken zipper.(s) Lessee...

Fish stomach pump

All of the strike indicators mentioned above, plus yarn, that foam stuff and the fold over stick-ons.

Moldable weight. (Good stuff if you can keep it on the line!)

2 Variety wheels of pinch on weights

Fingernail clippers

hemostats

Frog's Fanny dry treatment

3 braided leaders (8#)

2 tapered leaders (8#)

3 tapered leaders (4#)

6 spools of Flouro tippet (2 of 8#, 3 of 4#, 1 of 2#)

Scary hunting knife

thermometer (never used)

2 packs of size 16 circle hooks

pack of size 10 long shank hooks

Pack of Power Wigglers (White. Never without 'em)

Ink pen

Flies I didn't take the time to put back in the box

Net with seine attatchment for figuring out the hatch. (Caddis nymphs really are that Green!)

Camera

Toilet paper

Poncho

Oh yeah, at least two boxes of flies at all times. Usually more.

Yes, after about 4 hours, my neck hurts.

Ok, I've had both, and used both pretty hard. I got tired of the chest packs. They just weren't for me. I do alot of rowing (either driftboat or cataraft) and the chestpacks just seemed to get in the way. A vest is a bit better, but I can pack way too much into them. I'm actually looking at getting an inbetween by getting the William Josephs Coastal Pack. Not quite a chest pack, but not quite a vest either. Giving me mobility in my arms to row and not having the big bulk part of the chestpacks that sit in my main rowing area for my oar handles to come up to. So, I'll have to give a report once I'm healed up and can row again. For now, I'm just using my old cabela's shorty vest (not the II, but the original shorty vest, I LOVE IT!!!!!!)

Actually.. I have switched from the chest pack to an Orvis sling pac...one 12 inch by 7 inch by4 inch over the shoulder bag that hods my one Box , GPS, Compass, insect spray, Binoculars, lighter, leader material. But ,Beach fishing does not require as much ...I would need more if I were on a ruver or stream and would use the chest pack.

I tend toward my vest; probably an age thing (there's the opening, JM). I do own and occasionally use chest-slung packs. I guess it's situational preference.

Does a sling pack really work with a ball cap, or should one's headgear be more along the lines of a pith helmet or sombrero??? cool.gif (Chris - get ready to help me out, here! blink.gif )

My vote is for the vest. I bought a Tals pack last spring and hate it, when fly fishing I catch the line on it. Also can you say chest sweat?!

I have tried to go minimalist by using a lanyard which has all the tools and 5 spools of tippet as well as a fly patch. I have a box that attaches and holds what I think I will need for the water I'm fishing. I then back this system up with a tackle bag containing all my master fly boxes, leader wallet and other gear I might need. This works for most of my fishing situations which are ponds and some canoe floating where the bag can be nearby. If I have to hike into a stream, I'll take my Camelback backpack which holds 2 liters of water and has room for a few extra flyboxes and some snacks.

I have and use both.

The vest for cool weather and river wading, lots of fly boxes and junk.

The chest pack for hot humid summers in the river and when on a pond with my pontoon boat.

I also have another chest pack for saltwater wading, this is used only for that purpose due to getting soaked with salt in high waves.

Regards,

FK