Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Arkansas Mike

Storing Floss/Thread

I know you are supposed to keep silk floss out of the light and in a dry environment, but I was wondering

about other types of floss and even tying thread. I have been keeping all my spooled materials on one of

those spool racks on top of my bench. Could fluorescents, humidity, and dust in the air damage or discolor

my materials?

Thanks all,

Mike

Hi Mike, it's pretty unlikely for most man-made materials dependant on how much u.v. is present. Pure silk is another matter though, as you say. I've always found yellow to be the worst offender for rotting, it may be the acidic dyes, or just the lack of resistance to u.v.

Contact Ridderbos3 he sells storage tubs that have air tight caps. I love them and have 5 of them for thread.

To store thread, floss, micro chenille, hooks, ultrawire, bead chain, bead head, etc. I use the 21 compartment Hook Boxes with the curved bottoms. I can stack six of them in the bookcase behind my tying desk. And just use a fine point permanent marker to write what is in the box so I can go right to the desired box.

This is certainly not a cheap solution. But it is handy, space efficient, and items may be quickly found. It does take thinking through how to store several boxes containing hooks to be able to pull out the box you want the first time.