Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Scissors

I'm sick of going through Scissors that don't cut the mustard!

The scissors i have are DR.Slick's for cutting thread,wings,hair etc. They take like 4 chops to cut chenille cursing.gif i have cheap one's for thick stuff,lead,wire etc. so my good scissors are well taken care of but the point's just don't cut for crap.

What is everyone's best fine tip scissor and where i can buy them?

Thank You!!!!

Brent.

Brent,

I'm pretty bummed by that, I was just about to buy a set of Dr. Slicks on the net. I'm really surprised you have problems with them cutting at the tips, aren't Dr Slick the best ?. Can someone else come in here and give thier opionion on scissors.

The best pair I ever had (and still use) are a nurses pair that she used for cutting bandages. The finger holes are very small so I hold them like a twessers (spell?) with my little finger in one of the holes. I sometimes forget and use it like normal but then it get stucks below my nuckles and I need to use the other hand to get them off. but they have great blades and cut at the points perfectly every time.

I think I'll hold off on my purchase till someone advises me otherwise.

Brian.

Any pair of scissors will dull if you use the same pair to cut hair that you use to cut thread.

The trick is to use the right scissors for the right job keep your fine point for the thread and fine hackle trimming and use a larger blunt nose scissors for the hair lace quills and other coarser materials then use a small pair of wire cutters for your lead and wire.

Your scissors will last longer and stay sharper if you use the right pair for the right job.

OSD.

I like the Anvil Ice tempered scissors. The blades stay sharp, and the warranty is good. I sent them in to get get repaired ( one screw kept coming loose) and they sharpened them at the same time. For the price that is pretty good.

I have to second the Anvil Ice, I liked them so much I bought a second pair so that I would still have a pair while the others were being sharpened. They are still brand new in the package two years later. I also bought their curved scissors and use the heck out of them as well. I do use old scissors to cut my wire and heavy materials but I use the Anvils 90% of the time. I haven't talked to you in a while hope all is well! I bought Oscar's tapes and have been tying a few of his flies are you still tying his stonefly's? I got one of them in one of the swaps and it went directly into my pattern box, great tie! I hope to see ya out there, Salmon are in the river, gotta go!

Oh by the way Bass pro, Gander Mt, and I'm sure most shops carry Anvils, they're not cheap about 19.95 but I think they are a bargain.

OSD, i guess i'm giving the fine point scissors a hard time. Cause i'll cut larva lace without thinking twice. Must be the Carpenter in me LoL!

I have had to return 2 pair of DR.Slicks to Cabela's that came right out of the bag,The points were bent in leaving a gap that would not cut.

SawCat, All is good here, just wish i was hitting the river's myself! Hopefully within the next few week's i can make it up there during the week for a few day's on the P.M. or Betsie.

i haven't been tying many of Oscar's Stone's...i'm holding off until i find the wider ribbion in black. All i could find was the small 1/4" stuff that makes the wings to narrow. Being a stay at home dad i get to tie ALOT headbang.gif biggrin.gif So my tying is improving everyday and i'm learning alot from the Web,Book's and the Expo's.

i'm hopeing to make some of the meeting's that YpsiFly go's to in FlatRock and see more hand's on stuff insted of how i think a fly is done. Alot to learn!

Hopefully i'll see ya again at the Mason show and you bring your fly box biggrin.gif You do some excellent tie's.

Thank's for the info Guy's!!!!!

Brent.

just a quick note for you anvil users.... i have a tendency of using the quick snip model, and I can get them cheaper than anywhere else through anvil themselves at www.anvilusa.com I have both the accu-tips and standard. After you get used to em, you'll love em (well, at least I did).

steve

The only time I have bought scissors online (read: sight-unseen) was a disaster! They went back the same day. ive_been_ripped.gif

Now I check with the local fly shops, and when they get a new batch of scissors in I go and sort through their stock. I find that out of a dozen new pairs, I might find 1 pair that is 'perfect' - tight fit, well ground, with very fine and even tips.

To make them last I use different parts of the scissors for different work. The tips for very fine work (here is where sorting pays off!), the middle for most uses and the extreme butt for wire and kevlar. It took me a little while to get into the habit of not using the tips for everything, but now that I'm used to it it's become habit. I use the same pair for rodbuilding as well (I don't use a razor blade at all - even trimming tag ends), and I've been using these for 2 years now - though I do have an unused pair as a backup that I picked up this spring.

I've always gone for Dr. Slick because I'm used to them, but maybe I'll give some Anvils a try next time...

Pretty much the same advice as everyone else has already given from me. I have 2 Dr.Slicks and i use one pair for thread and one pair for the heavier stuff like hair and such. i havent had any problem with them yet myself dunno.gif although i am a bit like you brent..i have taken my ones i use for hair and cut lead with them when i couldnt find my nippers whistling1.gif

SD

I have Dr. Slick's, have used them for years and haven't had any problems. There may be better scissors on the market, but I'm perfectly happy with the ones I have.

the reason i'm saying about anvilusa.com is that is directly from the anvil folks themselves. i can't ever recommend buying used or sight unseen from unknown suppliers because well..... there are schiesters out there. Anvil is a good reputable company though.

steve

the reason i'm saying about anvilusa.com is that is directly from the anvil folks themselves. i can't ever recommend buying used or sight unseen from unknown suppliers

I'm sure that Anvil would send a quality product as it is from the company themselves; it wouldn't behoove them to ship a low quality pair of scissors since that is their speciality.

Getting a specialty item like fly-tying scissors from a dealer rather than the manufacturer is where you're going to have problems (If I worked at a shop that carried scissors, you can bet I'd be routing through the newly aquired boxes of scissors as soon as they arrived, looking for the best pairs for myself!! Leaving the dregs for everyone else devil.gif ). Plus, I think the overall quality control at Dr. Slick is not quite up to par - hence the necessity of sorting through scads of scissors to find a really good pair.

I use cuticle cutters from the same section that guys get their Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails, and fingernail files, to cut wire and lead.

I use Anvil 4" perfection scissors for everything else. I don't cut anything but thread, or hackle with the tips. I have 5 pair of these. Three need sharpened to bring them back to original sharpness, though they can still cut many things just fine. I have used four pair for the last 12 years. I just bought a new pair last week! I'd say they hold up pretty well!

I use Dr. slick's Razor scissors...they work great. I will vote for having at least 2 pair. one for the sole use of chopping fine thingslike thread and one for the rest of the stuff