Fly Tying
flyderaght

dying deer hair

Rit will work too. Never tried koolaid, but have heard it works. Don't know how quickly it might fade.

I use Jacquard Acid Dye, which is sold in some craft shops.

Jacquard works well. You do need to dye deer hair at cool temperatures for a fair peice of time. Do it hot and the hide shrinks fast preventing dye penetration to the hair bases.

Hi Marc,

I haven't dye deer but I have done snowshoe rabbit feet and various feather using RIT. The liquid form is nice and eliminates having to find suitable containers for storing the stock solutions. I usually add a small amount of urea to the dye bath to increase uptake of the dye. Works nicely. Just be sure to write down everything you try so that when you get that perfect color you can repeat it B)

Tim

Any suggestions for doing so at home. koolaid?

thx

marc

Most deer hair is bleached then dyed. With White tail deer(in the midwest) there really isn't much usable white deerhair (usable for spinning anyway) We keep the long hair for white and buy the dyed stuff. You can call Chris Helm about it , he knows more than most, google chris helm , he willget you going in the right direction

A friend is going hunting in Alberta for some winter whitetail, hopefully willl get some. I've some store bought stuff, just not impressed with it. thx for tips on the dye, I remember ian Forbes from out in BC mentioning doing his own and I think it was Koolaid.

marc