Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TitanFlies

Solid Stonefly Patttern

Hey guys - going to the Smokeys next summer and my dad and I are planning on some trouting. They say stoneflies are the bugs to use. I say, "which ones?". Anyone have a solid, proven, simple/easy stonefly pattern? I know there's millions of them out there... I was hoping there'd be at least ONE for the eastern part of the USA.

Thanks in advance.

IMO the top 3 most tested productive are:

Kauffman's Stonefly nymph - a little complicated

Prince nymph - easy tie

Brooks Stonefly nymph - easiest tie

Hey guys - going to the Smokeys next summer and my dad and I are planning on some trouting. They say stoneflies are the bugs to use. I say, "which ones?". Anyone have a solid, proven, simple/easy stonefly pattern? I know there's millions of them out there... I was hoping there'd be at least ONE for the eastern part of the USA.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Titan!

I don´t know if I can help you because the only stoneflies patterns that I ty are for southamerica rivers, I also ty a stonefly nymph with a condor feather. But I believe that the Kauffman's Stonefly nymph is a universal fly and I have used here with very good results. Ty a few ones, isn´t very difficult, but in my personal experience any stonefly nymoh pattern is easy to ty.

Regards.

Need to narrow it down a little, do you know where you are fishing in the Smokies and what time of the year it will be? With my limited experience on the Oconaluftee trophy section, I know you can find black and tiny brown stones during the winter. During the Spring we fish some huge Brown stones and you get hatches of the little green ones, then as you get into summer you get the Sallies and Goldens. The thing to remember is that Stoneflies are always in the river and in all different sizes. Kaufmanns Stone is a good one, but a good simple effective stonefly pattern is Kevins Stone originated by Kevin Howell. Hope that helps some.........