Fly Tying
Andrews15r

My first macro shot...

I just started taking macro shots of my flies, mostly just to show off but also to try and sell a few here and there, how do they look, and can you give me any advice on taking better shots? Constructive criticism is much appreciated!

Thanks - Andrew

post-20960-1253003530_thumb.jpg

post-20960-1253067114_thumb.jpg

Andrew

Your camera work is excellent- the flies are in focus and the background is good. You may want to work a little with your lighting. I like to use two floodlights- one above and to the right (close) and one below and to the left (not quite as close.) It looks like you are using two light sources- but neither seems to be illuminating the front of the fly. At least one of your floods should throw light on the viewer's side of the fly.

Hi Andrew,

I'd have to second Rockworm. Focus is good, but lighting came across as flat and gives the image a monotone appearance. Although the background still gives detail, try the same setups with different colors in the background. The color can change the mood of the image. Play around with your depth of field to see if smaller apetures yield more details too. It's great fun isn't it? Keep it up! -Dave

Kick up your depth of field a hair. Some of the Hackle is a bit out of focus. +1 on the above. You can use white sheets or even paper to reflect softer light onto the object from various angles as well. Just play around with it a bit.

Good start Andrew. The EXIF information in the image shows that you were likely using your camera's largest aperture. I'd suggest using the smallest available aperture. Looks like a Powershot, hopefully it offers f/16 or smaller. If you weren't already doing so, use a tripod as your exposure times will be much longer as you reduce the aperture size.