Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alpinefly

Sno-Fly Modern Midges Celebration Swap !!!!

Already Sunday, and an end to an excellent Thanksgiving weekend !!!! I pigged out and plenty of good beer and wine (don't tell my Doctors lol) !!!! The deadline is quickly approaching (there, I said the dirty word). If you have forgotten, the deadline is December 8th !!!! Already some fantastic tying that has come in !!!!! We have had beyond a great Sno-Fly Swap- so far !!!!!!!! GET YOUR MIDGES IN NOW (DO NOT PROCRASTINATE); YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE KNOWN AS A CHUFFER (and ruin an already perfect swap). I tell you, I can't wait to fish these midge patterns !!!!!!

Must plan for a Winter Sno-Fly Swap trip next year (ya think ?????) B)

I just received a package of very nicely tied #20 Bowtie Buzzers from Mark Olsen (Omaha, Nebraska) !!!!

December 8th is descending on all of us very quickly. Waiting for 5 more packages to arrive (I am hopeing without procrastination). I am so stoked :yahoo: and ready to head up to the mountains and dupe some trout on midges !!!!

Each time I look at what midges I have received so far, I just sit and slobber all over my cold beer (no......I didn't do it all over the midges.....I will let some good sized Trout do that lol) !!!!! :P

To update, we have 5 packages that I am still waiting on to receive !!! For those who have not sent their midges as of yet, tomorrow (December 8th ) is the mail-in deadline !!!!!! I hope some of you have not :wallbash: fogotten !!!!!

I received a package of very deadly looking midges from Graham Owen (watch out trout) !!!!!

There are 4 packages left to arrive in the mail !!!! This is one day after tha mail-in deadline !!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh just hot out of the mailbox, I received a package of yummy :headbang: (I just know that some large trout will say so) # 16 Garcia's Rojo Midge Variant from Dezod !!!! Glad that postal donkey made it throught the snow all the way from Northglenn, Colorado !!!!

Thanks Cory !!!!! Waiting on three more packages !!!! Matt told me his was in the mail, and have not heard from Pikepicker or Ken Capsey (I did kindly remind them of the deadline) !!!!

I have been kicking back this afternoon with Takahashi's "Modern Midges". So much to take in; like it is a major sensory overload of just about everything you would want to know as to midges and fishing them (over 1000 recipes from tyers around the world). I talked to Rick on the phone yesterday, and he asked me how I like the photography !!!!

All I could say was Wow :yahoo: to the whole book (yes, even at the pictures of my patterns in this book). This is really the midge bible right here, and if you need an excuse to get yourself a Christmas present, then get this book; it belongs in your tying library !!!! B)

We are waiting on two packages that are past mail-in deadline !!!! The problem is that I have not received a response from Pike-Picker or Ken Capsey saying as to whether they are in the mail or any other valid explanation !!!!

There certaimnly were people that wanted to be in this swap and would have gladly taken and committed to the two spots !!!! I know this is unfair to you who have participated as well, and if for fact they are blowing this swap off,

you will not want them in your swaps as well !!!!! If any of you know Pikepicker and Ken, you may want to ask them what's up ???

Well, I will assemble everyone's packages !!!! We had two no shows (yep they chuffed) :ripped: on this list of the Sno-Fly VII; even after sending plenty of notices to these two people !!!! First, Ken Capsey !!!! I don't care how big of a name you attain in the arena of fly fishing and fly tying !!!! Ken even had plenty of chances to pull out of the swap and give the slot to someone who really wanted to be in this swap !!!! After sending him several PM's (he is on Facebook), he finally responded in a flippint way that he was sick and did'nt get a chance to !!!!! WTF !!!! I was in the hospital ICU, and I still managed to crank out 81 midges !!!!! Pikepicker has not even responded to the PM's sent to him !!!!!

There is something called committment !!!! I am going to make an apology to all of you who participated and kept your committment to this swap (as well as Thanks for your contribution), and to those who wanted so much to be in this swap but were not able to because of a couple of tools who do not know the meaning of committment !!!

Ken Capsey and Pikepicker, as far as I am concerned, you are banned from all of my swaps and I hope all who host swaps on this board will take the same stance !!!!!!

Again, to all who participated, a big thankyou, your midges will be in the mail, Merry Christmas, and Tight Lines on your next midge trip !!!!! :headbang:

RECIPE FOR GLO-LITE SERIES MIDGE EMERGER (originator & tyer: John Larson)

Hook: Daiichi 1120 (size 18) or hook equivalent

Thread: Color to match midge

Standard Tubeing (small): color to match midge

Crystal flash: Color to match midge

Glass Midge Bead: Color to match midge

CDC: Color to match midge

Step 1 : Put on bead at head of hook (I use a foundation of thread and superglue to secure bead)

Step 2 : Take a small length of small Standard (hollow) tubeing; follow the length measurement of

midge emerger species you are trying to imitate. Take a hot needle and lightly cauterize

one end. Insert crystal flash inside hollow tube and clip that end even !!! Tie onto hook

Step 2 is a multi-step for main body.

Step 3: Behind bead take 1/2 half CDC Oiler Puff (Color to match midge species) and tie forward

behind bead head.

Step 4: Dub Lite Brite (Or even Ice Dub) Color to match midge species on thorax (lightly dub) up to

slightly behind Bead.

Step 5: Tie in (figure 8) small section of crystal flash behind bead (make sure there are two light

dots on each side of midge head, and clip each side to that spec.)

Last Step: Whip finish, and grab a cold beer.......You now have a killer midge emerger for your box

You will want to tie up plenty in different colors !!!!

The Glo-Lite Series captures the three dimensional, transparent and color light refracted effect of

midge emerger in the water (just under surface film). I came to this idea after being out on the

water in my float tube and observing this phenonenom as well as watching the fantastic

underwater photography of Ralph and Lisa Cutter's "Bugs Of The Underworld" !!!!

I will coat the midge emerger with floatant (to give it a lift effect), and fish just under the surface

film. This is a great Dry/Dropper Pattern . Check out Takahashi's "Modern Midges",

You will find some great advise as how to fish midges, and especially emergers !!!! Enjoy

and PM me if you have any questions in regards to tying or fishing this pattern. Also I enjoy

helpful critique (you basically are a lab tester out on the water testing this pattern) !!!

Well, again, a big thanks to all of you who contributed your talents to this years Sno-Fly VII Modern

Midges Celebration Swap (List #1) !!! It is my wish that you will have a very special Merry Christmas,

and Tight Lines on all your Winter midge trips !!!!!! B)

Sno-Fly Midge Swap Packages ARE IN THE MAIL

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU GET THEM !!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!!!

&

TO ALL TIGHT LINES !!!!!!!

I got mine too. Looks like a Jan 31st outing on the Little Lehigh in Allentown, PA. Great ties by everyone and thanks for hosting AF.