Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alpinefly

Sno-Fly Modern Midges Celebration Swap !!!!

B)

Each Fall season and around the Holidays has been a long annual tradition called Sno-Fly (an annual midge swap).

For those who have had the opportunity in previous years to participate in this midge swap or to have read the story, "The Tale Of The Little Snow Fly", they have found a deeper meaning in this annual swap !!!!! In previous years I have posted on smallstreams.com and shared on stream-fisher as well as FAOL !!!! Smallstreams is down at this time !!!! I did make a posting on stream-fisher !!!! Last year I debated as to continueing the tradition as my helath quickly went down hill !!!! Grants, it has been a rough year, but I am happy to still be alive !!!! You will find in the book, "Modern Midges" written by my good friend Rick Takahashi, 11 of my midge patterns from previous years of Sno-Fly, as well as some patterns from good friends Roy Christie !!!!! If you have not picked this book up yet, please do !!!!! It has a plethora of great info om midges and midge fishing methods as well as over 1000 recipes with pics !!!!!!! It belongs in your fly tying library !!!! Well, Sno-Fly has become a show-case for new midge designs and cutting edge ideas in midge tying !!!! I have always strived to make this educational !!!! I am opening up the invite here !!!! Starting this list at 12 tyers, but more can be added at the vote of those that will already be on the list !!!!! Midges can be any size, but should represent any midge (Diptera) species in the Larva, Pupa, Emerger, or Adult Stage !!!!! Please Toe Tag your patterns and include recipe !!!! Mail in and completion deadline is December 8th !!!!! Mail your patterns in a secure bubble mailer ans include another self-addressed, and stamped bubble mailer !!!! You should know the swap routine !!!!!! Once swap list is full, and swap is closed, I will include final instructions and mailing address !!!!! Again, I have always tried to make this swap educational, so feel free to share your ideas and midge info !!!!!!

Cheers and Tight Lines !!!!!!!

John M. Larson (aka Alpinefly ) :bugeyes: (hmmmmmmm Where did I put those size 32's now) ??????

1. John Larson (Alpinefly) Glo-Lite Series Midge Emergers

2. Graham Owen RECEIVED

3.ibrb #20 Rainbow Midge RECEIVED

4. pikepicker NO SHOW

5.jacktjl (#18 Zebra Midge) RECEIVED

6.carlp5351 (#18 Chartreuse JuJU Midge) RECEIVED

7.Dezod (#16 Garcia's Rojo Midge Variant) RECEIVED

8.Student4evr (#16 Brown Peacock Emerger) RECEIVED

9. Matt Schliske (germanbrown)

10.Ken Capsey NO SHOW

11.Crackleback (#22 Blueberry Snowcone) RECEIVED

12.Leonard Keeney (# 18 Purple Peter) RECEIVED

13. mark2olson Bowtie Buzzer RECEIVED

14. Box to be donated to Casting For Recovery

Count me in please. just got the book Modern Midges looks good not read yet.

4 Spots Left to fill in this swap !!!!!! You won't want to miss out, and you will get a great box of midges to boot !!!!!

Little time left and 1 spot still open !!!!!! Don't miss out !!!!! After this any additions will be at the vote and discretion of those already signed up !!!!!!!!!

At this time the list has been filled and Swap is Closed !!!!! There may be one added (Roy Christie) if he e-mails me back !!!!! Usually he is always on the list !!!! 13 midges to be tied (the 13th box to be donated to Casting For Recovery) !!!! Again 14 if I hear from Roy Christie !!!!!!! Welcome aboard to all of you !!!!!! You will find this Swap to be very special and following a great tradition !!! It is alway nice to get a great box of midges around the Holiday Season !!!!!

Cheers and Tight Lines !!!! Stay Tuned !!!!!! More Info to Come !!!!!!

John (Alpinefly)

At this time the list has been filled and Swap is Closed !!!!! There may be one added (Roy Christie) if he e-mails me back !!!!! Usually he is always on the list !!!! 13 midges to be tied (the 13th box to be donated to Casting For Recovery) !!!! Again 14 if I hear from Roy Christie !!!!!!! Welcome aboard to all of you !!!!!! You will find this Swap to be very special and following a great tradition !!! It is alway nice to get a great box of midges around the Holiday Season !!!!!

Cheers and Tight Lines !!!! Stay Tuned !!!!!! More Info to Come !!!!!!

John (Alpinefly)

There are at least 111 different midge species in Arizona !!!!!! How many different species of midges do you have in your state (or country) ?????

Picture below is the "Texas Hole Cherry Bomb (Chironomid Emerger)"; one of 11 of my midge patterns you will find in Rick Takahashi's new book, "Modern Midges" !!!!!!!

post-18775-1255569607_thumb.jpg

The DVD "Bugs Of The Underworld hold some of the most fantastic filming by Ralph and Lisa Cutter !!!!! Here is a link

(on You Tube) to Chapter 5, showing the different stages of Midges filmed underwater !!!!!! Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!

As you all will notice from the list, we have a spot open in the swap !!!! Flytire had to drop out :( !!!!! Sorry to hear this, but here is an opportunity for someone to be in the swap !!!!! One of the tyers on the list, Leonard Keeney, has finished his midges already, and they are on the way in the mail !!!!! Leonard is a veteran from a previous Sno-Fly Swap, a fantastic tyer, and Fly Fishing Guide from Branson, Missouri !!!!!! :headbang: