Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
yeoldkiller

trout stocking this month

They started stocking trout this week i need help tho i used wooly buggers scuds nympds and cant catch one i see them jumping up alot but cant get one some fly recoomendations,techniques or hints would help me alot also they stocked in not a big lake but a miniature lake

Wooly buggers should do the trick most of the time as they are a pretty good attractor/searching pattern. You could always try glo bugs or the Y2K egg. I've had pretty good success with a brown egg pattern that resembles the trout food pellets they use at the hatcheries. Especially on the freshly stocked trout.

Sometimes you just have to give the fish time to adapt to their new surroundings and get used to eating "natural". For now try using any kind of attractor patterns.

Give them a day or two to aclimate and recover from the stress of being moved. After that they should start getting hungry. Super secret pattern:

Purina Trout Chow:

Standard shank or curved shank hook about a 12.

Thread: black or brown:

Body: Varigated olive and brown chenille. Three wraps.

Tail: None

Hackle None

Weight this fly, and make it hit the water hard.

Some think catching stockies is unethical and unworthy of a true fisherman - they obviously do not know how it feels like to get bummed by a bunch of them :)

Brown lure is good, a gold head adds flash and splash see here what I mean