Fly Tying
5 weight

Is it my tying???

Just be thankful that you didn't catch a skunk...i did that once thanks to bad casting in bad winds.

Like others have said...it comes down to what you are putting the fly in front of....it is obvious you have the style right to trigger a strike. Now you just need to find the prey you want.

Speed is a factor too.... Don't want to catch those slow moving bass? Speed up the retrieve. Bass will jump on most anything that comes by them if its close and moving right. Cold water means slow bass and slow bass means fish faster for cold water species. Being down deep will put you right in the strike zone as well, so keep it up a little more.

Basically, like many have alluded to your in the bass zone. Through experimenting you need to find where the trout position themselves in the conditions your having on the lake. Also it could be that they are keying in on a specific food source for their fattening and the woolly bugger just isn't cutting it. Take water temps and depth notes and continue fishing. Once you get a trout then you'll know where to target. A seventeen inch bass will eat a 12' trout without a second thought. You will find them together sometimes of course but generally they position themselves somewhat separated when together in the same system. Mostly just out of different biological needs then predation but still somewhat differentiated anyway. Try to find other natural food sources in the system that the trout could be feeding on and try different areas to you find the trout. I netted a 3" juvenile smallmouth doing surveys for the state of Oregon that had a whole 2 1/2" salmon fry in it's gut. I don't know how the thing could even keep swimming. It was wider than it was long.