Fly Tying
lykos33

polar bear

few cases white belly hair of deer was listed as a substitute.

Huh?? Aww isn't deer belly hair stiff, stiffer then deer hair body? The little bit I have is as stiff as a rock.

The best 2 substitutes for polar bear is skunk tail and Hareline's polar fibers.

Huh?? Aww isn't deer belly hair stiff, stiffer then deer hair body? The little bit I have is as stiff as a rock.

The best 2 substitutes for polar bear is skunk tail and Hareline's polar fibers.

I was simply pointing out substitutes that I have seen published over the decades. However, the little belly hair I have is quite supple and it is long enough for large flies.

Personally, I don't like skunk tail or body hair as a substitute for polar bear because the white hair on a skunk is opaque like deer belly. Cashmere goat, Arctic runner are superior because they are translucent like polar bear. I do however, find the black skunk hair on both the tail and the body to be superb wing material for steelhead wet flies that have an opaque black wing because it is very supple and moves well in the water.

Other suitable synthetic fibers I have used include Salmo Web, EP fibers, and hank SLF, all of which come in a polar bear "color".

I was simply pointing out substitutes that I have seen published over the decades. However, the little belly hair I have is quite supple and it is long enough for large flies.

Personally, I don't like skunk tail or body hair as a substitute for polar bear because the white hair on a skunk is opaque like deer belly. Cashmere goat, Arctic runner are superior because they are translucent like polar bear. I do however, find the black skunk hair on both the tail and the body to be superb wing material for steelhead wet flies that have an opaque black wing because it is very supple and moves well in the water.

Other suitable synthetic fibers I have used include Salmo Web, EP fibers, and hank SLF, all of which come in a polar bear "color".

Good quality deer belly hair is fairly supple.

I like Bruce's suggestion of cashmere goat, EP Fibers, and the SLF hanks. I'd add that Steve Farrar's Flash Blend works pretty well as a PB substitute, as does Yak hair ( although that does have some crinkle to it.) I have a small patch of Polar Bear (3"x3") that I've snipped a few hairs from, but I am very prudent with it. It does have a translucence that nothing else can equal.

Merry Christmas, y'all!

Yer Pal,

Streamer

Good quality deer belly hair is fairly supple.

I like Bruce's suggestion of cashmere goat, EP Fibers, and the SLF hanks. I'd add that Steve Farrar's Flash Blend works pretty well as a PB substitute, as does Yak hair ( although that does have some crinkle to it.) I have a small patch of Polar Bear (3"x3") that I've snipped a few hairs from, but I am very prudent with it. It does have a translucence that nothing else can equal.

Merry Christmas, y'all!

Yer Pal,

Streamer

One quality of Polar Bear hair that is often overlooked is the fact that the hair is tapered at both ends with a profile like a DT fly line. Most other animal hair is tapered only at the tip end. What this does for the tyer is allow the wing to be tied in with the desired bulk and have a much reduced tie in point therefore smaller head size.

I use a lot of Polar Bear for my salmon flies here in Iceland but the best substitutes I found was the Arctic Runner and Polar Pony hair. Its fantastic material to use for you salmon, trout and small saltwater flies. Today I buy most of the hair from here; www.pickafly.com since its really difficult to get a quality material online. I usually have to touch and feel the material before buying it but the owner of the site knows what is good quality and doesn't send bad quality materials.

I saw in these posts polar bear is good for wings and such, but what are it's qualities? What makes it special? I picked up a small piece 4x4in. for $2 at the local fly shop as it was closing, but they had a whole bin of it. Should I have gotten more?

If you can still get I would buy all you can. It is good trading material. The going price is $4.00 a square in.