Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CreationBear

Paraloop/Gallows Tool query

All those great Paraloop terrestrial patterns on the other page have me wondering: if you've got marginal tying skills like I do, is a gallows tool the way to go? I've seen tutorials before, but it seems as if I might run out of hands trying to wrap up the mono loop. :)

You can tie paraloops without a gallows tool, but it's much easier with a gallows tool.

I tie mine slightly differently to Ian Moutter. (paraloop originator) He uses two anchor points for forming the paraloop, one above and one behind to hold the formed paraloop out of the way. I simplified it by using only one anchor point, but I mount the gallows tool independent of the vice so that I can move it to where I want.

You can see what I mean here... http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/index.c...&thread=579

Excellent--thanks so much for the link. (BTW, I'll have to try the Flexi Floss idea...I was able to do a paraloop with mono this afternoon, but I think both the floss and the gallows tool will make it much easer.)

For a gallows tool I drop a line from the bookcase over my bench. But IMHO the choice of post material is even more important: I get the best results from furled Kevlar and double-furled GSP. AND I find it much easier to use thin-stemmed feathers (genetic saddle hackle) rather than neck feathers.

Rockworm-- Thanks for the tips...I've some GSP for spinning deerhair, but I don't think it's furled. (Otherwise, I'm still a "dining room table" tyer, so I guess my wife will want some imput before I start dropping lines from the chandelier.) :)

Rockworm-- Thanks for the tips...I've some GSP for spinning deerhair, but I don't think it's furled. (Otherwise, I'm still a "dining room table" tyer, so I guess my wife will want some imput before I start dropping lines from the chandelier.) :)

If you use flourocarbon she'll never notice :rolleyes:

I rigged up a gallows tool from coathanger wire, rubberbands, and paperclips. It is described in the Moutter's book, but you can probably guess as to what it looks like. I eventually upgraded to a commercial tool, but it has not made that much of a difference compared to the coathanger IMHO.

Mike.

CBear

You have to furl the thread yourself. It's a simple procedure. (There must be a video clip somewhere here.) Furled threads and yarns also make excellent abdomens for "extended-body" flies, particularly for midges and caddis which don't require tails.

FT, RW-- thanks for elaborating...I'll certainly give all that a try, although I remain curious about the paraloop's "visibility" on the waters I fish. Jonny's "split-wing" technique might save the day, though... :)

Guest Tony P
You can tie paraloops without a gallows tool, but it's much easier with a gallows tool.

I tie mine slightly differently to Ian Moutter. (paraloop originator) He uses two anchor points for forming the paraloop, one above and one behind to hold the formed paraloop out of the way. I simplified it by using only one anchor point, but I mount the gallows tool independent of the vice so that I can move it to where I want.

You can see what I mean here... http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/index.c...&thread=579

That's the same way I tie my paraloops :thumbsup:. I really like the way the Flexi Floss locks the hackle in place once you release it.