Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kennyx

Saltwater Fly Hooks.

I started tying not too long ago and

I've been tying on my old bait hooks that i had in my tackle box.

they fished fine until i noticed some rust around the eye, probably on the shank too.

i started to throw the rusted ones out and eh more than half of em went in the thrash. <_<

any recommendations for saltwater hooks?

and are Mustard 3366 sproat hooks any good on the surf? (100/$3.. they any good?)

i mostly tie clouser/gotcha/moe crab patterns.

Most all bronzed hooks will start to rust after a short time when used in salt water. The rust will discolor some fly bodies, dull the points, and weaken the hook shanks.

You will need nickle plated, or stainless hooks for use in salt water. the Eagle Claw L067 Billy Pate hook will work, these are $7,99 per hundred at Cabelas. In Mustad hooks, you may want to use the S71SZ-34007 hook. These are 9.99 and up per 50 based on what size you use. Either of these hooks will work, and save you money since you won't have to discard rusted hooks after a few trips.

Guest rich mc

there is a large group of tyers that like the eagle claw 413 it coated for saltwater. but the smallest they make is size 2. rich

thanks guys but i found my source for these saltwater hooks (:

my friends been using those chinese hooks from ebay and they say they have no problems with them what so ever!

i jacked a couple to try bending them and they are quite sturdy. under $3 for 100 hooks nickle plated. im not one of those brand seekers or sell any of my flies so i'll be fine with these ^_^

again thanks guys!

thanks guys but i found my source for these saltwater hooks (:

my friends been using those chinese hooks from ebay and they say they have no problems with them what so ever!

i jacked a couple to try bending them and they are quite sturdy. under $3 for 100 hooks nickle plated. im not one of those brand seekers or sell any of my flies so i'll be fine with these ^_^

again thanks guys!

I'm a brand seeker and it appears you may be using a brand I'm seeking. What brand are these chinese hooks?

lol i see no names on them but here are the links.

http://cgi.ebay.com/No-6-Silver-Hooks-100-...=item19b9201cf1

http://cgi.ebay.com/No-6-Silver-Hooks-100-...=item4a9b20e904

friend is telling me it takes up to 2-3 weeks to get here(USA from Hong Kong) fastest was 10 days.

AND he is also telling me to look at the pictures carefully cus the hook size number system is differnet there.

i forgot to mention that these are really sharp out of the box. and i noticed somehooks have weird unclosed eyes and some are perfectly fine.. eh i dont care B)

goodluck!

Just my 2 cents worth, but here in Florida the use of nickle plated and stainless steel hooks is discouraged. If a fish breaks you off those hooks will not rust out and may cause the fish to die if it is blocking its throat so it cannot swallow. We're fly tiers, so what if a hooks rusts, tie another fly.

Just my 2 cents worth, but here in Florida the use of nickle plated and stainless steel hooks is discouraged. If a fish breaks you off those hooks will not rust out and may cause the fish to die if it is blocking its throat so it cannot swallow. We're fly tiers, so what if a hooks rusts, tie another fly.

:wallbash: i didnt think about that.. i land all my fish that get hooked except some overly annoying shovelnose guitarfish that seems to feed on my flies often. thanks for the heads up tho. i still ordered some 3366 hooks to try out so would take me couple of months to start ordering those nickle hooks anyways :)