Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GR8LAKES FLYER

Beauly Snow Fly

Originally tied for the River Beauly in Scotland , I believe that it is quite fitting for GL's steelhead .

BeaulySnowFly001.jpg

Here are a few variations .... I couldn't resist

BeaulySnowFly002.jpg

BeaulySnowFly004.jpg

BeaulySnowFly003.jpg

BeaulySnowFly005.jpg

I must mention that the original dressing calls out for herls and not the swords of the peacock for the wing . After tying three with the herls I decided that I liked the look of the swords better ...... sorry Francis

Mike

this fly is listed in TREY COMBS book STEELHEAD FLYFISHING

in the picture its tied on a much longer hook thats why it calls for bronze herl instead of swords

i think the chart head would look good on the original blue fly you tied instead of the orange thats called for

this fly is listed in TREY COMBS book STEELHEAD FLYFISHING

in the picture its tied on a much longer hook thats why it calls for bronze herl instead of swords

i think the chart head would look good on the original blue fly you tied instead of the orange thats called for

I agree , as per the original dressing in Francis Francis "How to dress Salmon Flies and how to fish them" (published 1876) , Francis calls for a herl wing of peacock , hook shank between 1.5" and 3" . These samples were tied on Partridge CS10/1 #1 , the shank is 1.25" . I guess I could have used some long swords on a Daichi 2091 1.5 .... me bad .

Mike

Mike how and where would you fish that, I am new to the steelhead scene.

Steve

Right in the water :hyst:

Seriously Steve , I only swing flies now on a two-hander (spey rod) , but can still be done with a single-hander . So any of my favourite steelhead rivers in typical moving water where you would fish a streamer or a wet fly for steelhead using a sink-tip or full sinking line , most likely the latter for me . Typically looking for active or aggressive fish .

Mike

Originally tied for the River Beauly in Scotland , I believe that it is quite fitting for GL's steelhead .

BeaulySnowFly001.jpg

BeaulySnowFly002.jpg

BeaulySnowFly004.jpg

BeaulySnowFly003.jpg

BeaulySnowFly005.jpg

I must mention that the original dressing calls out for herls and not the swords of the peacock for the wing . After tying three with the herls I decided that I liked the look of the swords better ...... sorry Francis

I think the herls would make a cleaner line, but I'm with you. I like your interpretation.

Mike

BeaulySnowFly001.jpg

BeaulySnowFly002.jpg

BeaulySnowFly004.jpg

BeaulySnowFly003.jpg

BeaulySnowFly005.jpg

Mike

Hi Mike

Beautifull Beauly Snowfly. In my view this relatively small fly looks great with swords instead of herls. But as Bad Fish Rising rightly says it would be difficult on a 3/0 or 3" waddington shank to get the right proportions without using herl (the fly often tied with 8-12).

If you havent tried it yet I can asure that you will be possitivly surprised by the movement of the herls in the water.

I saw it demonstrated by MIST (the Finnish guy from the Classic forum) on the Danish Fly Festival last year. WOW.

regards

Jens

Hi Jens !!

You are right about the herls , I have tried tying one on a 3/0 and swam it in the tub :rolleyes: However , I do have some really nice long , long swords off my peacock that I could use on a Daiichi 2091 #1.5 .... I'll give it a go as well , when I can get back to the vise .

Mike