Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stew

Tying Instructions--Grand Hopper

Does anyone have the tying instructions for a Rainy's Grand Hopper? I have all of the materials but would like to know the step by step. Haven't been able to come up with anything on Google.

Thanks. Stew

Stew,

That is a good looking hopper why don't you try the Juan Hopper. I think it is a little better hopper pattern, materials should be a little easier to find. The Grand Hopper seams to be at least 4mm foam. Check ot the Juan Hopper

http://hopperjuan.blogspot.com/2009/05/hop...ying-steps.html

carl

Thanks Carl. Nice looking pattern and I'll definitely try it. You're correct, the Grand Hopper uses 4mm foam. I'm very confident I can tie this pattern. I'm more curious how you affix the body so you get the right "look". Obviously, there's a slit cut on the underside to position the body, but how long should that slit be, and where should it be made?

I think you will have to try the slit a few times, to get it in the proper placement. Make sure you cover the hook shank with thread and than super glue the foam to the shank.

carlp

This one demonstrates using round foam but maybe you can get a few ideas on how to tie in the square foam. My guess would be, instead of tying the foam off at mid shank (body only), cut the foam the full body and head length but tie it in mid-shank so that the foam extends out both ends (over the hook eye and the bend of the hook) using the 'hot dog bun' slit they describe. From there you can easily add the underwing, wing and legs. Finaly step would be to glue the eyes in the head.

Second one down demonstrates how to tie in the foam body for hoppers (direct from the Rainy's foam package insert).

http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/rainys-float-foam.htm

Tim

Moscow, Idaho