Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Following Patterns

I was tying up some Green Butt Skunks and when I started my first one I realized that I didn't have any red hackle that I could use for the tail. Instead of making the 1 hr journey when I get my stuff just for some red hackle I instead used black as the tail. It seems like I do this regularly for patterns that I find and I don't have the supplies built up enough so I can follow receipes. So I rarely come out with a fly that "matches" the original and I was wondering if you guys cosider it important to follow receipe list closely. Usually as long as I can get a fly to come out similar then I'm happy. Maybe I'm missing something and if I followed particular patterns more closely I would have more success out on the water dunno.gif

I always make the very first few that I tie match the recipie. After that, I start to experiment with them. I think the only fly that I haven't tweaked is the Zug Bug.

I think not having the proper materials is the mother of invention. You can tie real close to the real thing only substituting one or two items or you can get crazy and substitute most of the items. It's a great way to come up with new flies that work.

Will, I agree with luvinbluegills & Dornug, nothing wrong with substitutions or experimenting. If you want to follow the original pattern that's fine, in the case of the Green Butt Skunk I don't think it's that important that the tail be red, but substituting another red material would have worked just as well. Red Krystal Flash, calftail, bucktail, marabou or even red yarn would have all made good tails.

I don't think the black tail will be a problem, and you could have used other colors as well. It does change the pattern from the original recipe, but only the fish can tell you if it really makes a difference! rolleyes.gif

Yup, I have to agree. Nothing wrong with substituting. EXCEPT, if you're tying for clients. LOL. They have a tendancy to get picky if they get, say, a polar shrimp with a red wing instead of a white one. biggrin.gif I only bring that up, because I just got done tying up 4 dozen of the damned things for a couple guys trip to fish the Hoh for winterruns. LOL.

But, nothing wrong with changing things up. In fact, I grew up just taking colors I liked and putting them on the hook. Guess what? For the most part, I've copied tons of patterns and never knew it. But, sometimes, you have created a pattern that is truly your own. Like my avatar. I know after saying this, someone will send me the pattern from the 1800's. wallbash.gif But I developed this one for summerrun fishing on the Wynoochee. My own spey fly. So far, haven't found one like it yet. Especially since it uses the "Glasso" style wing. Funny how far your mind will take you developing flies. It's the best part about tying yourself. The limit you put on your tying is your own. So, next time you want to change a fly, go for it. You may have created a winner in the process. biggrin.gif

It's hard to be wrong with the Skunk too. If you browse the net for the Skunk pattern you will see that it is tied different ways on every site.

Tie the tail in white and touch it up with a red permanent marker when finished.

I use markers alot in my tying. One of my favorite WoollyBuggers is tied all white with grizzly hackle, then I dot the marabou tail fibers with a black marker. I call it "salt & pepper" and it's a killer on smallies.

Will...I agree with all the other posts... It's a good thing to experiment and see what also works that you felt would not simply because you did not follow a recipe exactly.

QUOTE (fishinwrench @ Oct 26 2003, 11:04 PM)
Tie the tail in white and touch it up with a red permanent marker when finished.

I use markers alot in my tying. One of my favorite WoollyBuggers is tied all white with grizzly hackle, then I dot the marabou tail fibers with a black marker. I call it "salt & pepper" and it's a killer on smallies.

I'll be adding that to my smallie arsenal!