Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Orange & Blue

That looks spectacular!

Got a question for you. I am set up to start tying tubes, but I am curious about orientation of the fly. Is it the connection of the hook to the junction tubing that properly orients the fly? If so... is there any standard on matching hook eye size to junction tubing, or is it just a see if it fits kind of deal? Seeing stuff like this makes me more anxious to get on this... very inspiring work! Thanks for posting it!

David <><

That looks spectacular!

Got a question for you. I am set up to start tying tubes, but I am curious about orientation of the fly. Is it the connection of the hook to the junction tubing that properly orients the fly? If so... is there any standard on matching hook eye size to junction tubing, or is it just a see if it fits kind of deal? Seeing stuff like this makes me more anxious to get on this... very inspiring work! Thanks for posting it!

David <><

David,

You insert the hook into the junction tubing the way you want it to ride in the water. I don't know of any standard or guide to hook size and tubing size. I've inserted very heavy wire 1/0 and 2/0 hooks into an HMH 3/16 tube for saltwater tubes, they were snug but I didn't have to force fit them.

That is sweet, Paul. Makes me want to get the tube converter

for my HMH. Was this one tied on your new vintage Standard?

Mike

The adapter was held by my LAW, the HMH was had half tied tube in it.

Where's the eye?!...where's the shank?!...Paul, there's not even a hook on that thing! How are you gonna catch fish with that? :dunno: ;)

I'm not a tube guy but I like the looks of the pattern. Thanks for sharing.

Where's the eye?!...where's the shank?!...Paul, there's not even a hook on that thing! How are you gonna catch fish with that? :dunno: ;)

:hyst:

I'm with Old Hat regarding tubes. Maybe worse, too far from conventional flies for me and you know how outta the box I am. That said, you put a great dressing on the tube thing. :innocent: