Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

60 degree jig hooks

ive been looking around for 60 degree jig hooks on line and ive noticed some have the hook eye turned the opposite way (flat) , does it matter wich one i get? is there a difference in presentation or anything?

All the ones I've seen (i.e. Mustad, Eagle Claw, Gamakatsu, TFS, etc.) have the eye parallel with the bend, unlike a standard down-eye or up-eye hook where the eye is perpendicular to the bend. If we are talking about the same thing, then no, I do not see this as a problem. Never thought of it before, but this is they way nearly all "jig" hooks are arranged, probabaly to facilitate the "jigging" action.

That Mustad has an eye that's perpendicular to the bend, which is indeed different from, say, an Eagle Claw EC-413, where the eye is inline with the hook bend. You would think the Mustad, thus, would offer ever so slightly more water resistance and thus maybe very slightly slow the jigging action but the effect may not even be noticeable. I guess you'd have to tie identical flies on both hook styles and test them side-by-side. I haven't done that but would guess it doesn't matter, especially since probably most folks use these hooks with lead dumbbell eyes for tying things like Clousers.

-- Mike

Guest rich mc

i like the ec 410 and 413 as the bend section from the eye is longer. ill send you a few with the swap flies . rich

I mold my own jigs, and the flat eye hooks are made for specific Do It molds, and some custom jig molds. No real difference in performance between them & hooks that have the eye in-line that I can tell. I use both.

However, in actual use, the flat eye hooks will catch grass & other debris a little quicker than the in-line hook. It's not enough of a problem to exclude using them, especially if you're molding jigs or adding barbell eyes to tie flies. The flat eye hooks, and Mustad is not the only one who makes them this way, are premium type hooks, so they are very sharp & very strong, so they make a great fly hook. :)